Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

todd  Courses  savel  hydrobath  dryer  grooming  

Award Rates of Pay 2010

+9
Cessnock
bourkejm
Chris
gumsgrooming
poochpamperer
yapidiyap
C.C
Susanne
gpet
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Award Rates of Pay 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: Award Rates of Pay 2010

Post by angelsmum69 Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Ok I worked out what I should be paid on a casual basis (if employed).  It doesn't state whether casual's would be required to use their own equipment?  I think I need to talk with other 'sub-contractors' re. this subject, not employees.
angelsmum69
angelsmum69

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Under normal employment (casual, FT or PT) the employer supplies the equipment, I have always been of the belief that employees should supply their own equipment as it will get looked after better. As an employer I would pay for blade/scissor sharpening for the employee.
As a contractor, in most trades you would be required to supply all equipment. Just like a hairdresser really, all tools you supply, and the business supplies the consumables, shampoos, dryer, finishing spray etc...hope this makes sense Smile
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by angelsmum69 Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for all the info Chris.  I wondered what rating I would be 1/2/3/4? Although it gave me a general idea! I can't imagine having to share equipment as it takes me a while to get comfortable with my own and I'm pedantic about maintenance etc - annoy's everyone. I'm just trying to see (moneywise) if it's viable if parttime/casual turns to fulltime? I'm sure there is a lot more expenses with sub-contracting when my accountant get's hold of it.  I actually have been told by him I can't work for this business more than 80% anyway, so full time would mean finding another source of doggrooming?
angelsmum69
angelsmum69

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:36 pm

With the ratings, 3 and 4 are out as there are no trade qualifications for groomers (yet) and so you base the scale on 1 and 2, casual gets an extra 25%. 80% would either mean casual or Part time depending on interpretation Wink

Chris...
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by angelsmum69 Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Now I'm thinking 'commision' would be the way to go? I have been told by the owner of the business I subcontract to 'wher I use my ABN' that she is only prepared to pay the minimum wage!  I have been grooming for 20 years and this is the same rate for a bather?  I would come home with approx. $104 for 5 hours and would be taking tax and expenses out of this! I'm in a position where I'm newly single so the pension compensates this, but firstly I don't like being a recipient of Centrelink Benefits and it stops in a year when my youngest turns 8. After sharing the responsibilities for grooming one dog ie. having a bather, I've found I really prefer to groom the dog myself from go to woe.  I am looking for the other 20% work now, so hopefully I can land a position that is similar to what I outlined above! Wink One of those little fibreglass trailers is looking good!
angelsmum69
angelsmum69

Back to top Go down

Post by snaggywoo Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Angelsmum69. Yeah my little fibreglass trailer looks great! haha!

I started my business from scratch... no franchise, did lots of the trailer myself and I've built up my business quite easily in Newcastle. I think most of the other people with their own mobile business say they are making up to $45 per hour after expenses and with 20 years experience you would be much much quicker than me! If I had to work out an hourly rate for me it would be approx. $35-$40 per hour after expenses but I am a beginner (12 months experience part time).

Its not as hard as you think to start your own business and then you are in control and get a much better deal I think. Start part time and expand to full time maybe?
snaggywoo
snaggywoo

Back to top Go down

Post by angelsmum69 Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Wow - so where did you land the fibreglass trailer to begin with.  Where I've looked they start at around $16000. I would need something smaller than bigger because I'm hopeless with backing a trailer.  Yes I do think working for yourself is easier, especially with kiddies and their demands!  I wouldn't say I'm quick - much to the contrary - I've been told I'm too slow!  I timed myself today and after the bather had washed and dried the dog (sometimes a rough pre-clip) I was completing the dog in 1/2 to 3/4 hour. Working for other people has increased my speed slightly.  Newcastle hey?  I grew up in Nth Avoca (Central Coast)  I've often wondered how grooming would go up that way.  I suppose a lot more short hair cuts and more flea/tick treatments?  If I weren't tied down to living in Vic (Custody etc)  I'd be off somewhere like there or QLD. Smile
angelsmum69
angelsmum69

Back to top Go down

Post by snaggywoo Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Where did I land the trailer? It was a second hand one I bought. It needed ALOT of work though and as far as what was spent on it think between $25-$30k by the time I had added all the bits and pieces I wanted to. So it is a big investment but I got all the add-ons insured and I guess it helps to get the higher rate.

I can now do a well behaved dog in an hour doing everything myself. But I'm not doing a style cut, just a full body clip. That is all the mobile market really wants here as there are fancy salons people can take their dog to if they want styles. Yeah lots of short hair cuts and "fix my matted dog". I am getting a lot quicker at those too. I just hate the ones that either bite and there is no work around or those that waste a lot of time on the grooming table by squirming and being difficult.

As for the trailer backing... I had zero experience at this when I started. Everyone I know said I couldn't do it. I got 4 lessons from a driving school then just practiced the techniques they showed me. Within 3 months of doing it every single day I got a lot better and can now handle 90% of situations. I only back it into a driveway if I have to.

However I too would like a smaller trailer from the manoeuvring perspective.  Its great to work in but maybe a little too big for some city areas of Newcastle. If I was going to buy a trailer now I would go for a groomers friend or chieftain. I haven't had any first hand experience with these but they look like a good compromise on size and manoeuvrability and price. And buy new as fibreglass can be full of traps as to the health of the gelcoat that can't be seen till you work with it.
snaggywoo
snaggywoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum