Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

grooming  dryer  Courses  savel  hydrobath  todd  

Does that dog have fleas?????

5 posters

Go down

Does that dog have fleas????? Empty Does that dog have fleas?????

Post by porshangel Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Does that dog have fleas????? Xcel_f10

Did you know GROOMER aren't allowed to put on spot on treatment on clients dogs
Or give clients dogs oral treatments ie capstar or worming products

So what do you do with a flea infested dog ????

Last edited by porshangel on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
porshangel
porshangel

Back to top Go down

Does that dog have fleas????? Empty Re: Does that dog have fleas?????

Post by Admin Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:21 pm

ahahhahahha Thats flippin' hilarious! Its gonna take more than a capstar to sort that sucker out !

seriously though,its a big problem.
I was just dealing with a poodle today that had an army of fleas.....it got me thinking.What i would really like to do is in my advertising,note that we do not take flea infested dogs for grooming,and that we suggest you speak to your vet clinic for the best control options. And mention that yes,i can flea bath your dog,but sorry ,one flea bath wont solve your problems .
Thankfully i dont see many fleas at all,and ticks are not seen here

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Westie Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Really? We're not allowed?? (Can u tell from my many postings that it's my day off Very Happy )
This is my most often asked question. I usually advise that people wait a minimum of 24 hours after the flea bath before applying the flea drop ( I use Frontline +). This is 'shear off and de-flea' month for me but would love to know the ruling on applying flea treatments.

Westie

Back to top Go down

Post by porshangel Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:12 pm

you are okay to use flea rinces, but you should ask you client if they use and flea products at home as some products can not be used together.
I use fido flea rince only as is is safe with other products smells nice to and recommend further product for my clients ie- advantage/frontline
If a dog has and infestation well off to the vet.
As dogs can die from an infestation of fleas it can cause them to be anemic (spelling ??).
Also by law we are not allowed to diagnose a dog ie- "Your dog has mange, You dog has an ear infection blah blah" You can say i think your dog has something check with you vet or it looks like.
So hard to keep your self save now day.
I am always saying to people (friend, strangers, clients) who ever lol
If there is something wrong with there dog. So now i say i think it could be blah blah ask you vet.
porshangel
porshangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Westie Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:09 pm

I use a flea spoo then recommend Frontline +, which I sell. Am I doing the right thing? We come across so many skin, ear, etc probs but I am careful to say I am not vet trained and that they need professional advice.

Westie

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:49 pm

A few years ago, we did a seminar with Teri Di Marino, and she was saying that most chemical contamination occurs throught the mucous membranes - eyes, nose, and mouth., and it is usually cumalative. From then on, where I was working at at the time stopped using flea rinses, and we haven't started at the new shop. If things are really bad, we'll use a capstarand crate it for a while. BTW, I used that cleaner from Spectrum that's been mentioned in another post, and it seemed to kill the fleas really well. They just dropped off with their legs flapping - I thought it was really good. Will have to try again on another one to be sure.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Does that dog have fleas????? Empty Does that dog have fleas????????

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Hilarious picture....my those fleas are getting bigger...all the better to bite you!!!! Our vet has recommended using topical treatment fortnightly AND caststar every 2 to 3 days if the infestation is bad.. (We are on a sand Island....great breeding ground...and high humidity)He advises that it will take about 6 weeks continual treatment to see a drop in numbers by this way of conrolling the environment.Of course vacuuming inside gives 100% kill on adult fleas but of course the pupae stage and eggs have to be kept under control. I am continually recommmending a detailed programme at this time of year to stay ahead of the problem. We have all seen the result of the dog with allergy to fleas bites...leave alone the worms and general health of the animal being under continual stress. Good luck all in the forthcoming season Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Back to top Go down

Does that dog have fleas????? Empty Does that dog have fleas!!!!

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:36 pm

OOOOPPPPS spelling mistake CAPSTAR Exclamation Exclamation

Back to top Go down

Post by ashababe2002 Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 am

what is this spectrum cleaner you speak of.. i am very interested, is it a dog or a environment cleaner? what is its proper name?
ashababe2002
ashababe2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down