Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

grooming  savel  todd  Courses  hydrobath  dryer  

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese?

+4
doglover
Cessnock
shiveringpuppy
woofywagon
8 posters

Go down

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? Empty does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese?

Post by woofywagon Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi to fellow dog lovers and groomers.. ive started grooming dogs and for the life of me can not master the half cut on maltese and springers. ive been usings 5f, 4f osters blades and everytime, the dogs coat turns out blotchy and uneven. i would greatly appreciate!! any information anyone has to offer, before i go completly mad lol Mad

woofywagon

Back to top Go down

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? Empty Re: does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese?

Post by shiveringpuppy Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 pm

No idea what "half cut" is. Puppycut can mean any length "same length all over". Are the blades new and sharpen? Are you prepping the coat correctly (clean/mat free/brush out)? Brush up/backward again, stretch the skin and re-shave till it's even.

shiveringpuppy

Back to top Go down

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? Empty Re: does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese?

Post by Cessnock Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Half cut.....left or right side off?? hahaha I crack me up:P ....Soz never heard the term .

4 or 5 cuts are simple easy clips & should not cause you any grief...as Shivering said..is your prep work up to scratch ?? Clean, dry, knot free coat?? are your blades sharp?? Are the clippers working ok..drive lever not worn?? are you following the flow of the coat or cross cutting causing choppiness??

post a pic of your result & we can probs help better with the problem
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? Empty THANKS! CESSNOCK , NEW AT FINDING MY WAY AROUND THE SITE? LOL ILL FIGURE

Post by woofywagon Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Cessnock wrote:Half cut.....left or right side off?? hahaha I crack me up:P ....Soz never heard the term .

4 or 5 cuts are simple easy clips & should not cause you any grief...as Shivering said..is your prep work up to scratch ?? Clean, dry, knot free coat?? are your blades sharp?? Are the clippers working ok..drive lever not worn?? are you following the flow of the coat or cross cutting causing choppiness??

post a pic of your result & we can probs help better with the problem

woofywagon

Back to top Go down

Post by woofywagon Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:57 pm

THANK YOU KINDLY, SO MUCH FOR SHOWING INTEREST.. OK BLADES ARE SHARP,OILED, COATS KNOT FREE AND I GO WITH THE COAT FLOW. NOT SURE ABOUT DRIVE LEVER? I KNOW MY 10 BLADES GO REALLY WELL. PERHAPS IM OVER OILING OR. i DID A FANTASTIC JOB A YEAR AGO ON ONE DOG , GLIDED THRU LIKE BUTTER.. MY BLADES CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE BLUNT, IVE HARDLY USED THEM, IVE STRUGGLED FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS, EVEN ON MY OWN MALTESE. THANKS AND KIND REGARDS LEE LEE

woofywagon

Back to top Go down

Post by doglover Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 pm

woofywagon wrote:THANK YOU KINDLY, SO MUCH FOR SHOWING INTEREST.. OK BLADES ARE SHARP,OILED, COATS KNOT FREE AND I GO WITH THE COAT FLOW. NOT SURE ABOUT DRIVE LEVER? I KNOW MY 10 BLADES GO REALLY WELL. PERHAPS IM OVER OILING OR. i DID A FANTASTIC JOB A YEAR AGO ON ONE DOG , GLIDED THRU LIKE BUTTER.. MY BLADES CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE BLUNT, IVE HARDLY USED THEM, IVE STRUGGLED FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS, EVEN ON MY OWN MALTESE. THANKS AND KIND REGARDS LEE LEE
Don't assume new blades are sharp.

doglover

Back to top Go down

Post by Groomery Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:09 am

Sorry i'm a bit late replying here but I hope I can give some useful advice.

Is this the sort of looks you are after ?

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? P6280010

(here is the above dog in the before shot. I bath & blow dry this first before doing anything else, and it's front feet were all chewed up/knotty that's why they look shorter in the after shot. Sometimes you just can't fix it!)
does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? P6280011

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? P7210010

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? P1090010

does anyone know the half cut, puppy cut for a maltese? P1080210

If so, can I suggest you invest in a set of stainless steel snap on combs. I never use blades to do body clips these days unless its a 7# shavedown. The SS combs are a godsend imo and blade clipping is a thing of the past for me.

All of my photo examples above have been achieved solely with SS combs over a 30#. I choose my body comb usually the dark blue for approx 4# length, and the next 2 sizes up the orange & yellow are my favourites to give that plush look but still with a managable length. If the owner wants the head a little fuller like the little dog with the bow, I choose a length 2 sizes up from the body length and go over the head with that. If they want head same as body I just go over the head with the same comb as the body.

Like others have said, prep is crucial. ALL my dogs get bathed & force dried before I clip anything (unless they are matted to the bone & get a 7# shavedown). I happily bath/dry 4 inches of growth to achieve the look i'm after. I don't pre-clip any dog that is getting any sort of plush clip or style.

Groomery

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:44 am

They look great Tammy and the SS combs are wonderful. I just love them.
I do have to whack fur off first though. I am too old to force dry a lot of fur.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Groomery Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 am

Lol Jonna....i'm about the same age as you?? early 20's right Wink

Groomery

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:49 am

Lol. I have to use a multiplier.....
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 am

Ok....I could force dry a maltese.......no cockers please. I would force dry almost any dog first.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by peke-lover Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:21 pm

I have NEVER had any luck with blades over a 7. Dont ask me why *shrugs*, I wish I knew. Like you, everyone else doesn't seem to have any trouble. The only coats I have found them ok with are poodles, jap spitz etc, basically any coat that is thick and dead straight and standing out from the body.

For me, anything over a 7 blade I go straight onto the SS combs. Generally I go (sizing wise) 7 blade, 2 comb (3 reverse), 3 comb (4 reverse), 4 comb (5 reverse) ........

Also Osters, never had any luck. I use good old basic Wahl and find they 'pick up' the fur better than anything else I've tried.

Preparation as the others have said is like a chinese meal, ie: it's all in the preparation. Anything longer than a 7 clip gets forced dried and then the last 10% dried and brushed at the same time.
peke-lover
peke-lover

Back to top Go down

Post by simplystylish Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:38 pm

During my traineeship many moons ago we use to do half clips , being that name sounds weird on one level but really its taking half the length of the coat off according to my boss back then . Snap on combs or hand scissoring the coat works depending on time and the coat condition .
simplystylish
simplystylish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down