Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

savel  hydrobath  dryer  Courses  todd  grooming  

Oscar's Law - outlaw puppy farming

+2
jonna
DoggyDoos
6 posters

Go down

Oscar's Law - outlaw puppy farming Empty Oscar's Law - outlaw puppy farming

Post by DoggyDoos Wed May 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Please help put an end to puppy farming.

Oscar's Law is gaining momentum. It is at the heart of puppy farming where Oscar, a little dog used for breeding was returned to the farmer despite horrific medical issues.

From the Petition site...
In early January 2010, an ALV Open rescue team investigated a puppy farm near Lancefield Victoria. A number of dogs who required urgent veterinary attention were rescued.

The list of ailments the dogs suffered was extensive, including:

Severe matting

Ear infections

Gum disease

Rotten teeth

Grass seed abscesses

Dogs so severely malnourished their irritated skin was like paper

Grossly underweight

Days later approximately 10 police raided Debra Tranter's (Animal Liberation Victoria) house. They had a search warrant. They seized Oscar (one of the rescued dogs) and returned him to his abusers.

You now have a chance to have your vote. It is all set up for you. Email John Brumby, Ted Ballieu and Sue Pennicuik.

http://www.oscarslaw.org/act-now.php

Once you have done this, pass on the site to at least one more person and save more lives. Thankyou.

Oscar remains at the Puppy Farm to this day. Offers of large sums of money have failed to secure his release.
DoggyDoos
DoggyDoos

Back to top Go down

Oscar's Law - outlaw puppy farming Empty Re: Oscar's Law - outlaw puppy farming

Post by jonna Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 am

Very sad. This is a big problem in my area. Very extreme conditions,and there have thankfully been a few shut down recently.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 13, 2010 7:32 am

I received a message from a member who is concerned about this post and raised some very good points . They wish to remain annonymous, but i am going to quote from their message, as i could not have written it any better.

""I know nothing of this but what i read in this post, but animal "liberationalists" often give animal welfare workers a bad name... and this is the perfect example.

Yes, the dog lived in horrific circumstances but the "liberationalists" acted ILLEGALLY to seize the dog. If they had acted legally, the police would not be able to take the dog off the liberators and return him to the puppy farm. The "liberators" should have gone thru the legal channels and "liberated" him properly. It is their own damn fault the dog is still there.

There is a HUGE difference between animal "liberation" and animal welfare. One is anarchy, one is legal.

I couldn't be a bigger animal lover, but renegade liberators ruin the good work that true welfare workers do and for this reason should pay the criminal penalty just like the negligent puppy farmers should. And stop using emotional blackmail like is the forum post to disguise their own illegal deeds. """"

That last sentence is not aimed at the original poster , rather at the content of the quoted post in the original message.

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Thu May 13, 2010 9:36 am

I can see how someone would cross the line to help a helpless animal. If I lived next to the one they shut down here, and I was only a few miles away, I may have lost control too. I am not siding with that party, I am just saying I understand what put them over the edge. I myself would have done it legally. JMO
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Thu May 13, 2010 11:21 am

My 2c worth

While i respect the intentions of the liberator it seems that doing it legally obviously would have been the most appropriate option....However before we judge this person /s too harshly we must consider that all of us know when it comes to matters of legalities such as this struggle to rid the world of puppy farms, the "legal" way allows the animals to continue to suffer and the process can become drawn out and frustrating...Is there any one of us that, possibly driven by this frustration, might not at least "consider" liberating these animals and ending their horrendous suffering??? I am not by any means supporting their actions but neither am i willing to condemn them as they did what they felt was best for the animals at the time...

In short lets not judge individuals trying their best to make a difference, but instead let's show our support to this campaign to change the laws...Because if there were any blame to be laid it would be with government bodies who don't deem puppy farms and the appalling conditions as inhumane practise

Just my thoughts, thanx for allowing me to share them

Last edited by Donna on Fri May 14, 2010 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoggyDoos Thu May 13, 2010 10:29 pm

The point of this post was to highlight the need for change and to put an end to puppy farming, NOT to highlight the plight of animal liberationists.

Donna has presented some intersting food for thought, and has looked at the issue from all angles. When the LEGAL way falls on deaf ears (the RSPCA, Local Gov't, State Gov't & Police were all informed of the plight of the dogs at this particular farm) does a person just say "Oh well we tried" and forget about it, or does their conscience direct them to take matters into their own hands?

All that is being asked is that people send our politicians an email asking for the Laws surrounding animal welfare be reviewed and changed. All perfectly legal. If people don't use their voice, then change will never happen.

And, for the record - I'm not a liberationist. But, I do support a recognised animal welfare organisation because I want to make a difference to the lives of neglected and abused animals.
DoggyDoos
DoggyDoos

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Fri May 14, 2010 5:41 am

It took over 2 years to finally shut down the really bad one by me. And to revoke the kennel operator's liscence, which btw they reinstated after the first year. And conditions did not improve, only got worse. Then finally real action was taken.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Fri May 14, 2010 8:12 am

This is a tough one... On the one hand, there is the people working tirelessly rescuing dogs from death row, raising funds to allow them to pay for veterinary care or using their own money to foster (usually much more than one dog - we have a couple as clients and give them a discount on grooming), and at the other end we have the extremists - the PETA people who allegedly let dogs out of crates at dog shows to get run over or put anti-freeze in water bowls... because they would be better off dead, than in cages.

The OP doesn't state whether or not all the legal methods were (unless I missed it) exhausted or not. What the person did was illegal, no doubt about it, which left the way open for the dog to be seized and returned to the owner. I'd like to know if, when the dog was seized, it had had veterinary attention (hmmm, could the vet treat it without the permission of the owners permission?).

I'd like to think that if the RSPCA had been informed of it it would have acted immediately...

But I know of one rescue organisation that is a funny about people coming to see the rescue dogs... on the internet, and then by appointment. One client was passing by the organisation and asked if they could the dogs as they wanted one, and were told no. So they went to a pet shop and bought a pup there.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 14, 2010 8:48 am

I am not going to reveal my thoughts on the whole situation of dog farming and rescue org , because i am aware of how confronting my ideas are to a lot of people. I am not an 'extremist' . I am an animal lover....but with some fairly extreme ideas about how to fix the whole mess.

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by porshangel Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:21 pm

CoatCutter wrote: we have the extremists - the PETA people .
Hay thats my name sake. Peta
Well i think that any extreme is not the way to go. On one hand we have the extreme that is after money (Puppy Farmers) Then we have the extreme that is thinking with there heart and not there head. I agree with everyone a bit on this topic, but i strongly believe that the more we can let people know about puppy farms as animal care professionals the better the chance we will stop the chain of sale. I inform all and everyone that will listen to buy from a rescue or a reg good breeder. Not a pet shop. There for if there is no demand it will stop the chain. If that make sence to everyone. But on that same note if i saw a puppy farm in real life my instinct would be to run in and take a many dogs away as possible and it is hard for animal lovers sometimes to think with there head and not there heart sometimes. But i think that we can all say we are on the same page when it comes to wanting to stop puppy farmer. But i agree the right way.
porshangel
porshangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down