Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

hydrobath  Courses  grooming  dryer  todd  savel  

Jenny Craig for Dogs

+4
Chase
Donna
jonna
Tail's a Waggin'
8 posters

Go down

Jenny Craig for Dogs Empty Jenny Craig for Dogs

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi everyone.

I have several clients that are overweight and gaining. I have the running joke that the dog needs to enrol at Jenny Craig in chest:D however it just doesn't seem to be getting the message across. I don't want to be mean to my customers as I know the weight gain is sheer LOVE:heart: .

I'm concerned about a couple of my babies that really need to shed kilos.

Any suggestions on being subtle which I'm not to my naughty customers who spoil their dogs.
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Jenny Craig for Dogs Empty Re: Jenny Craig for Dogs

Post by jonna Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Why are you being subtle? I don't do that. I tell them they are killing their dogs. That usually opens their eyes. Remember you are a pet professional. They don't see a fat pet.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:14 pm

I tend to agree with Jonna here...I would not want to offend BUT people who "love" their dog with food do no see the dog getting fatter and once fat do not consider they are feeding them to death...The direct but polite approach to put out this fact with some suggestions as to how they might manage the problem they have created would be appropriate Smile
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 pm

I educate all owners that have over weight/obese dogs about their dogs weight. Usually when I talk to them about the health implications for the dog they start listening and about the medication they will require to purchase like cartrophen injections, heart medications etc. I let them know that it will be better off for them cost wise if they fed their dog a premium dog food (I recommend Artemis) to lose weight now rather than pay for expensive medications later on in life. Plus the dog will have a longer life span and be healthy.
I also let them know that 1 plain dog biscuit to a dog is like us eating a hamburger with the lot because of the fat content, so only give 1 a week or give smaller/tiny treats here and there.
I give them the name and number of a petfood store in Vic that delivers for free and that sells Artemis and also raw diets etc so it makes it easy for them and they don't need to go looking for the dog food.
I make sure that I don't make them feel like a bad dog owner because their dogs overweight but I make it clear that it needs to change.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:23 pm

It is hard especially when the person who owns the dog themselves is over weight. They think you are making a hit against them when you talk about there pets weight

I have thought of making a flyer which states the effects obesity has on dogs. Usually when you explain it in person they tune off, but if they have something written down they may reflect on it later.
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 pm

That's a super idea Chase...Would be grateful if you would share when you do Smile
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:14 am

This link came through my Facebook feed this morning thought i would share it

http://www.cesarsway.com/dogcare/health/Dog-Obesity-is-a-Serious-Problem
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks Donna.....will use this info ! Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:47 am

I have done the pet food speech to death. Apparently Americans are deaf. I do have a few pets who just cannot drop the weight, eat probably better than I do, and have been tested for thyroid. I call them my little pork rinds. I am very attatched to all my grooms.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks Donna that was a good article.

This thread has now convinced me when I come back from holidays to write the flyer. May take a while though because I get obsessed in research, but if you guys have any ideas of what you would like written in there let me know.

Once I'm done I will post it up here for you guys to critic.
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:39 am

Thanx Chase that would be good...good research is the key to something like this being worthwhile and of good quality so research away!!! lol
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 am

Great advise from everyone thanks. I seem to be getting through a little better as I'm begining to see some kilos disappear on some, not all yet.

I also let them know that 1 plain dog biscuit to a dog is like us eating a hamburger with the lot because of the fat content, so only give 1 a week or give smaller/tiny treats here and there.
This is a winner. The shock on clients faces says it all when they realise there dog is eating equivalient to 3 burgers with the lot a day. HUGE reality check.
(I recommend Artemis)
I've been feeding mine Artemis for quite some time now. Highly recommend it. My two love it and I find if you follow the feed guidelines it is very economical.... I have also obtained sample bags from my pet store so I can push the product to my clients. Good for the dog, good for the owner, good for my pet store, good for Artemis.

More fantastic results due to my friends on this Forum..Very Happy cheers
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 am

Finally finished the draft for the overweight dog flyer.

Its still has a lot of work that needs to go into it. For example I need to minimise the information a lot, check the stuff I wrote myself if it’s correct and get my sis to proof read it (she was previously an editor). But I thought I would get you guys to take a look at it see what should/ or should not be in there, what’s correct or any formatting changes it might need.

Just don't know how to put it on here! Its not an image so can’t put it as that at the moment it’s a word document any suggestions?

Then hopefully after that I can get a finished product to you soon!
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:23 am

Copy and paste? This is a great thread and a constant source of frustration for me too (fat dogs that is).
I usually point out the health implications too, but as Jonna says some people are deaf. Also I can't help notice that mostly fat dogs have chubby owners Rolling Eyes.
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Chase when you post a reply at the bottom below send etc you can attach a file if you want, its pretty simple Smile
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Jenny Craig for Dogs Empty Is my dog overweight?

Post by Chase Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks guys figured it out. I can be so dumb with computers some times:tongue:

ok here it.... let me know what you guys think and if you can help me figure out what to take out so it can be reduced (thats if you think it should be reduced) or anything added. Don't worry about grammar and formation of sentences at the moment, as I said before my sister used to be an editor and she will work on all of that.
Attachments
Jenny Craig for Dogs Attachment
Is my dog overweight.doc You don't have permission to download attachments.(264 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:15 pm

That looks great Smile
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanyaka Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:00 am

That's excellent Chase!!!

Very enticing with the format and looks like it has great info! I have definitely had a few clients already who could have used a flier like that!
Tanyaka
Tanyaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:43 am

Looks great, good work!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanyaka Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Well. Just having a rest between dogs after clipping a veeeery large Border Collie. Had to use my whole body to keep him from toppling off the table!!

Didn't have a flyer still but at least the owner seemed willing to discuss his weight. I told him to stop giving the dog an entire can of wet food a night (as well as dry food) and that border collies are actually meant to be quite slender dogs. So hopefully he will be half the dog next time I see him Very Happy
Tanyaka
Tanyaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks for the feed back guys!

I will leave it up here a little longer for those who haven’t seen yet can critique it, and once my sister is free I will pass it on to her. So hopefully I will have the finished product for you to use soon.
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down