Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

hydrobath  todd  grooming  dryer  Courses  savel  

part time work wanted

+7
Sinner
Donna
kasz
Tail's a Waggin'
peke-lover
Emmalovesbeth
karen on the GC
11 posters

Go down

part time work wanted Empty part time work wanted

Post by karen on the GC Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 am

Hi I am wanting a part time job in dog grooming. Preferably on the Gold Coast. Is anyone out there that maybe knows someone who I can ring and get my foot in the door. Am happy to work at an adjusted rate or no rate for a short time to see what my capabilities are. I am very confident they will be pleased with me. I am very kind to the dogs and love what I am doing.

Kind regards Karen on the GC Very Happy

karen on the GC

Back to top Go down

part time work wanted Empty Re: part time work wanted

Post by Emmalovesbeth Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:57 am

Good luck Karen,

i am on the job search aswell so if i see anything i'll let you know.

Sadley i think that this time of year is slow for dog grooming.
Emmalovesbeth
Emmalovesbeth

Back to top Go down

Post by karen on the GC Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:50 pm

thanks Emma - someone out there ......will talk to someone ........and that someone .........will know someone........ Very Happy who will email.....I'm confident we will be snapped up before too long. Good Luck

Cheers Karen

karen on the GC

Back to top Go down

Post by karen on the GC Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi Emma

Im feeling a bit flat - the reason I got into dog grooming was I could never get my dog into our local salon -it was always so booked. You had to wait at least 10 days. And I love my -moodle - and also I had owned my own florist shops for years and wanted a complete change but still artistic.....anyway before I undertook my course I went to the same busy salon and asked for work experience to which she said no - so I undertook a course which was brilliant.....for .2 months I went 3 days per week...and they got special training dogs in for me. I was doing 3 dogs per day by the time I finished.....anyway I went back to this very busy salon 1/2 an hour ago and said I was after work experience, job, work for no pay....she said no and did not even take my number......how defeated am I.... I know in floristry that.even after you do a course you are not a florist you have to practice your craft.....but over 15 years I gave alot of hopefulls a go - especially the free ones - howelse was I going to find the diamonds amongst the gems.....

cHEERS kAREN

karen on the GC

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmalovesbeth Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:47 pm

I got work experiance at a large salon.. TRUST me they are not all they are cracked up to be... I was horrified at what went on behind the closed doors.

Until i came to the forum i was worried all dog groomers where only after 1 thing the money... glad IT IS NOT SO.

Ummm Vets...... They often have groomers and they seem a little more willing to take some people on.

What i did was take on friends dogs.. They pay a cheaper fee as i am not a professional this gets you some practice you need.. It will also help you build up a portfoleo(sp) to show the salons.

Just try going to all the salons around your area and ask, that is what i did.. Most said NO as i could be a liability(sp)"or sumthin like that lol.

I am sure you will find somthing.. Groomers and GOOD ones are always needed..... Post an add in the local paper maybe and on the thread i posted Pekelover"i think" gave me a few good sites to look at.

Good luck.. I think around now less people get here dogs groomed as it cools down so it may be alittle slow.

p.s.. Wish i was artistic .... I have no creative bone in my body lol.... I am serious i dont know how i groom dogs? i can't even draw duck lol. Groomer is about all i can muster in the creative part.
Emmalovesbeth
Emmalovesbeth

Back to top Go down

Post by peke-lover Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:20 pm

PLEASE don't get despondent over this Karen, but to both of you. Is there anything stopping you going out on your own other than lack of experience???? There was a thread a while back about how most of us got into this business, and almost all of us started out on our own, being in exactly the same position you two are in now! If you haven't got the right equipment, it only takes a minimal amout to get the basics, then build on that. Get all the free dogs you can. Don't let other groomers put you off, I was lucky enough to ask a groomer in my town to help me out and she was happy to do that. Should someone come to me tomorrow and ask the same thing of me, I would be more than happy and have actually offered it already to people looking at getting into the industry, so what comes around, goes around. Keep asking, but in the meantime go and knock on that persons door down the road that has that yappy unkempt dog and offer them a free groom. That's all it's going to take ............ good luck!
peke-lover
peke-lover

Back to top Go down

Post by karen on the GC Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:28 pm

thanks Pekelover......I will do that...keep you posted...cheers Karen Laughing Very Happy

karen on the GC

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:52 pm

Very Well said Lisa..... hang in there girls... cheers cheers Wish you were in Melb.. Sad
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by kasz Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Karen and Emma, hang in there, remember persistance pays and you both have the passion and drive to achieve your goal. I wish I could just scoop you both up and take you under my wing. Take onboard what Lisa said, very wise words!!

keep us posted with your quest, don't become despondent become more determined!

best of luck guys
cheers Karen
kasz
kasz

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Hang in there you two......Good things come to those who wait...but with your determination and talent both of you will get what you want

God bless
Donna
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Karen and Emma....hang in there and do your footwork. When I wanted a parttime job I asked at the salon nearby giving experience as a bather and having been around show dogsbut only shepherds and collies. Left my number and a few months later they had a vacancy....stayed 6 yrs...That was over six years ago.....started my own business from home.....with just lines ads in local paper...be consistent...keep trying something is bound to come up Good luck Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Westie Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:38 pm

There's nothing more depressing that the 'no discussion knockback' but you can succeed - just dust yourself off and keep making the calls. Animal welfare centres, vets, other groomers, try everyone you can think of, take photos of every job you do and absorb every bit of info you can. We're all behind you and we all think you can do it cheers

Westie

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDreaming Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:10 pm

As everyone else has said "hang on' your time WILL come ~ do as much clipping, washing etc for friends, local animal welfare groups etc, I know this wont pay the bills but it will get you experience........... I know that many grooming salons don't want to take people on as some times it takes more time to show someone how to do something then it takes for you to do it yourself ...... so If your local salon is very busy then that maybe the real reason for not taking on someone new... I know this sounds weird... but I owned one of the largest salons Western Sydney for 6 years.... had a staff of 6 , plus myself and hubby working very busy we would do about 40-45 dogs on a normal saturday 8-4pm(more at xmas) and 20-25 on any week day also had a 4 bay do-it-yourself dog wash which had to be cleaned etc so staff that knew the routine where necessary, hence I sold that and now don't hire staff Hubby and I do the grooming and do about 12-15 a day, I will never hire staff again..... I don't drop clippers/blades/waste shampoo/water/have time off just because I feel like it/go slow because I had a late night last night....... etc etc......winge about pay/conditions etc (even thought I paid over the award and conditions where great air con/parking at door/lunch room with every thing needed/ lunch paid for a a saturday... a few people can wreck it for others......
StarDreaming
StarDreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:24 pm

StarDreaming i can relate to that exactly.
In the days when i owned my salon,i had so many people come in and ask for work. I could never say yes because working flat out on my own ,the time i would take out to train someone else,would cut my grooms in half on those days. ....and even if i did take them on,i would lose money while training them,then face having them leave anyway.
And i was never going to have staff because i couldnt be bothered with all those issues you mentioned . NO ONE works for your business like YOU DO . Its just a fact of life.
Hiring trained staff (to the standards i desired) is still an impossibility in SA .

I worked my salon for 16 yrs on my own ,doing 8+ dogs per day straight through service,answering phones ,dealing with walk ins,cleaning up etc etc. I was at a point where it was hire /train staff,or walk away. I chose to set up my little home studio and i have never looked back . 3-5 dogs a day straight through service ,no pressure. BLISS I love you

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDreaming Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Admin wrote:StarDreaming i can relate to that exactly.
In the days when i owned my salon,i had so many people come in and ask for work. I could never say yes because working flat out on my own ,the time i would take out to train someone else,would cut my grooms in half on those days. ....and even if i did take them on,i would lose money while training them,then face having them leave anyway.
And i was never going to have staff because i couldnt be bothered with all those issues you mentioned . NO ONE works for your business like YOU DO . Its just a fact of life.
Hiring trained staff (to the standards i desired) is still an impossibility in SA .

I worked my salon for 16 yrs on my own ,doing 8+ dogs per day straight through service,answering phones ,dealing with walk ins,cleaning up etc etc. I was at a point where it was hire /train staff,or walk away. I chose to set up my little home studio and i have never looked back . 3-5 dogs a day straight through service ,no pressure. BLISS I love you

Thats right You know that I'm enjoying my grooming more these days than I did in the big salon.... not as much stress, people love the "personal" service that they get.
StarDreaming
StarDreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunty Marg Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:41 am

I understand that it is frustrating and discouraging not being able to find work. As the others have mentioned it is time consuming to train someone up. Even if you are great groomers , each salon owner has their own standards and style. The more experience you get the easier you will be to train, so hit all your friends and the local shelters.
Be prepared to do any job. Bather dryer gives you invaluable skills in dog handeling.
Ask can you bring your own dog in and do it in the salon on your own time the the owner can see you in action.

Think carefully before branching out on your own. It is preferable to have someone give you the heads up on the hazards. I have seen the results of many 'horror stories' from inexperienced groomers let loose with sharp implements. Not suggesting that is you two' but the world of client dogs is very different to your own.
Don't broadcast that your ambititon is to branch out on your own. Most employers will guess this is your ambition but it is discouraging to put time into someone who will leave as soon as they are trained to set up in oposition DON'T LIE but wait untill you see how it all works before you present your master plan.
If it is you master plan use the time to do things that will help you run your business like a TAFE bookeeping or marketing course.
Aunty Marg
Aunty Marg

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I will never hire staff again..... I don't drop clippers/blades/waste shampoo/water/have time off just because I feel like it/go slow because I had a late night last night....... etc etc......winge about pay/conditions etc (even thought I paid over the award and conditions where great air con/parking at door/lunch room with every thing needed/ lunch paid for a a saturday... a few people can wreck it for others......

I've always wanted to expand and for all the reasons above is why I haven't.

Think carefully before branching out on your own. It is preferable to have someone give you the heads up on the hazards. I have seen the results of many 'horror stories' from inexperienced groomers let loose with sharp implements.

Seems like a catch 22 doesn't it.........

You can gain the experience in salons with help from other experienced groomers and this will take time.
Listening to other groomers it seems this may take even more time.
Only someone who is careless will produce those horror stories.....

I completed a two week coarse and have been working consistently for myself for the last four years.
Running a grooming business isn't just producing good grooms. If you love dogs and have a good work ethic you are already well on your way....It can be done successfully but you must be dedicated to establishing that client base.

What a shame Star Dreaming that some employees wreck it for others. Sounds like you would have been a great employer.
I try to maintain a high standard in customer service, cleanliness, reliability and good will. I won't settle for anything less and the person that works for me would be very well looked after however expectations would be high. I have no time for tyre kickers.
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDreaming Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 pm

Tail's a Waggin' wrote:
I will never hire staff again..... I don't drop clippers/blades/waste shampoo/water/have time off just because I feel like it/go slow because I had a late night last night....... etc etc......winge about pay/conditions etc (even thought I paid over the award and conditions where great air con/parking at door/lunch room with every thing needed/ lunch paid for a a saturday... a few people can wreck it for others......

I've always wanted to expand and for all the reasons above is why I haven't.

Think carefully before branching out on your own. It is preferable to have someone give you the heads up on the hazards. I have seen the results of many 'horror stories' from inexperienced groomers let loose with sharp implements.

Seems like a catch 22 doesn't it.........

You can gain the experience in salons with help from other experienced groomers and this will take time.
Listening to other groomers it seems this may take even more time.
Only someone who is careless will produce those horror stories.....

I completed a two week coarse and have been working consistently for myself for the last four years.
Running a grooming business isn't just producing good grooms. If you love dogs and have a good work ethic you are already well on your way....It can be done successfully but you must be dedicated to establishing that client base.

What a shame Star Dreaming that some employees wreck it for others. Sounds like you would have been a great employer.
I try to maintain a high standard in customer service, cleanliness, reliability and good will. I won't settle for anything less and the person that works for me would be very well looked after however expectations would be high. I have no time for tyre kickers.

THANK YOU ~ I thought that I was a good boss~ but I too have very high standards which in turn became high expectations at staff level, I feel that is why 80-85% of my clients now are my ex clients from my old salon, they have found me through word of mouth ~ as I've said before Mrs Smith knowns Mrs Brown who knows Miss Jones etc etc etc and this is how you get either a very good name OR a very bad one.....
StarDreaming
StarDreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down