Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

hydrobath  Courses  todd  grooming  savel  dryer  

A pain in the back

+6
Sinner
Coatsntails
CoatCutter
kasz
petgroomaustralia
yapidiyap
10 posters

Go down

A pain in the back Empty A pain in the back

Post by yapidiyap Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:16 pm

Does anyone have a chieftan mobile unit. I know you have Katz. Do you find that the tub is way too low and that you have to bend too much? That is what I am finding and just starting to have back pain. The tub is moulded into the van itself, so it can't be easily removed and replaced. Not that I can afford it. I've put an esky down in front of it with high density foam on top to kneel on, but it still doesn't feel right. I have even put a trampoline bed inside it to raise the smaller dogs to no avail. Crying or Very sad
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

A pain in the back Empty Re: A pain in the back

Post by petgroomaustralia Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Ouch, I know how that feels, I get it if I groom on a table that is too low or if I have to dry a dog on the floor...not good.
petgroomaustralia
petgroomaustralia

Back to top Go down

Post by kasz Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm

yapidy how old your chieftan? mine is 8yo and I find it to be ok, I know the newer models have an updated design maybe yours is different to mine. I was having major back trouble from the table though, b/c it's moulded into the wall and totally unajustable, I was constantly bending. Was going to rip it out and get a hydraulic, but I went and bought a hydraulic hairdressing rodeo stool...one of the best investments I have made, no more back pain! Don't think that will help with the bath situation tho...wow it must be low if a trampoline is not even helping.

sorry does still happen(back pain).... when drying or clipping (aaargh) the bigger ones on the floor..know that feeling well!
kasz
kasz

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:14 am

Yapidy, most baths often come with an insert with what looks like shadecloth over an aluminium or PVC frame, that you stand in the bath, and put the dog on, and it raises them up. What brand is the bath, and see if they have one of the inserts. Failing that, if you have a handy husband/partner/significant other/ friend, the may be able to make one for you.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatsntails Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:10 am

I was given a trampoline but before that I used a plastic childs table from the cheap shop about $20 it fitted perfectly. Glued non slip matting on it and on bottom of legs. You can cut the legs off to the length you need. It was really really good.
Coatsntails
Coatsntails

Back to top Go down

Post by yapidiyap Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:21 am

The model I have Katz is around 2 years old and is 84cm from the floor to the top edge of the bath. Way too low for me, I'm 5'8". I think even a small person would have difficulty with this bath.
Anthony, the trampoline bed that I mentioned sounds the same as the one that you are talking about. The bath doesn't have any name on it and is moulded into the van itself on three sides.
My grooming table is a hydraulic one, so there are no probs there, and I have a stool to sit on when I groom.
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

A pain in the back Empty Re : Pain in the Back

Post by Sinner Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 am

Kim., I think we all sympathise with u re the pain in the back . Think it goes with the territory....I find I have to maintain strenth ...as a personal trainer ( friend) told me and u probably know...strong stomach muscles ,abs. leads to strong back. Do as much back bending backwards, like all people do that are prone to rsi...in between dogs and as much stomach work as possible... We all get the tight muscle band in the left of lower back....comes from grooming right handed and bending as we clip. We do all the right things for lifting etc, like bending knees...We just cannot stay "balanced " the whole time. Lots of strengthening exercises help a lot..Thank goodness we groomers are not just A PAIN IN THE BUTT !!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by yapidiyap Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks Sinner, I was thinking just the same thing. I must start a regular excercise routine to strengthen my stomach muscles. It would still be a good decision on behalf of manufacturers to design equipment along ergonomic principles.
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

A pain in the back Empty A Pain in the Back

Post by Sinner Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes Kim. there is certainly room for those designs... I look at grooming tables... Have my own made for the right height.. I'm an oldie, "60" next year (ARGH!!!!!) but keep very fit. I'd hate to have to give up through injury. A bath the right height would have to have a LOOOONG ramp to ease the biggies into . We cant win They could be cut away more in the front too ... but then the water goes everywhere outside the tub....guess we need engineers on the job !!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

A pain in the back Empty A Pain in the Back

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi Kym, I've got a Kings trailer. I have the trampoline like Anthony is describing. It lifts the dogs up a little higher and if I pull the door out of bath then I find if I'm sitting on my hydraulic lift chair we are both on the same level. It takes all the pain out of your back when drying. Great for the little ones.

Don't forget Sinner's advise: BEND AND STRETCH ( reach for the stars, there goes jupiter and here comes
mars Laughing Laughing )

It is an occupational hazard of this industry unfortunately...
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Westie Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:25 pm

So you have a chair in the trailer Sarah...I've thought of it but not sure if it would fit so might follow your example and try it. I have NO abs to speak of so need all the help I can get LOL Very Happy

Westie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Sinner wrote:Yes Kim. there is certainly room for those designs... I look at grooming tables... Have my own made for the right height.. I'm an oldie, "60" next year (ARGH!!!!!) but keep very fit. I'd hate to have to give up through injury. A bath the right height would have to have a LOOOONG ramp to ease the biggies into . We cant win They could be cut away more in the front too ... but then the water goes everywhere outside the tub....guess we need engineers on the job !!!! Very Happy Very Happy

funny you should mention cutting away the front of the bath more ! Just the other day,after quite a few years of thinking it would be a good idea,we took the jigsaw to my old hydrobath !
I love the new look,its just SOOOOOO much easier to get around the dogs. Yes ,i get wet ,but i no longer have to stretch over the edge ,or do gymnastics trying to get the hose down between the bath and the dog.
I have a small waist high bath for the really small ones ,but i have tried this new look with a few littlies and its fine for that too.
I'm lucky that my mid & lower back are pretty good,but after breaking my neck a few years back,i get daily pain and discomfort in my neck and shoulders. having the bath cut out is already making a difference because my shoulders are more open,than when i had to scrunch and screw up trying to work between the bath and the dog

A pain in the back Imgp1410

....and i dont have to fiddle with the stupid door anymore ,i just put a lead on the dog and shove it in the front,and hook it up Smile

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:39 pm

We're in a salon, and we have a HydroBath, as well as a raised up bath tub too. I often take the door off the front of the HydroBath when I have a big hairy to dry, and pull up the hydraulic stool, and HV away, or leave the stand dryer on them with the door off. Another thing to do is stretch your Hamstrings... touch your toes. Hands up those who can Question LOL
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 am

I CAN !! I can actually put my hands flat on the floor without bending my knees...... tongue

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Westie Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:19 am

after breaking your neck!! You are a limber girl! How on earth did you break it?

Westie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:25 am

Westie wrote:after breaking your neck!! You are a limber girl! How on earth did you break it?

LOL,i dont know ! and i have a good size spare tyre too ......Its not as easy as it used to be Sad

um,i wish i could tell you a fell from a train,or hit by a Ferrari ...but no......it was a COCKER SPANIEL Shocked

I was grooming a very bouncy silly naughty OBESE cocker spaniel when it tried a leap of faith off the opposite side of my grooming table .Instinctually ,i made a grab for it ,trying to heave it fat backside back onto the table...i just didnt account for the weight . At the time i knew i did something,but thought it was a strain,coupla days you know Rolling Eyes
Umm,got more excruciating each day,went to doc,x-rays,scans....hey,you've cracked C2 & C3 Shocked
It will never be right and i'll never be entirely symptom free....i just have to manage it and be careful.
so ,next time you hear a groomer say they dont like doing cockers ........

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatsntails Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:59 pm

We need proof - piccies, don't you agree everyone!
Coatsntails
Coatsntails

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:07 pm

ok,i can send a pic ,but its not a pretty sight,otherwise Sarah will have to be my witness.....its really true ,really!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by peke-lover Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:16 pm

CoatCutter wrote:We're in a salon, and we have a HydroBath, as well as a raised up bath tub too. I often take the door off the front of the HydroBath when I have a big hairy to dry, and pull up the hydraulic stool, and HV away, or leave the stand dryer on them with the door off. Another thing to do is stretch your Hamstrings... touch your toes. Hands up those who can Question LOL

It's not the 'getting down' Anthony that's the problem, it's the getting back up again! affraid
peke-lover
peke-lover

Back to top Go down

A pain in the back Empty Back Pain

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:47 pm

touch your toes. Hands up those who can Question LOL

Nearly, not quite palms flat on floor.

Next trick????????
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Westie Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:16 pm

does it count if I can do it sitting down LOL

Westie

Back to top Go down

A pain in the back Empty a pain in the back

Post by Sinner Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:25 pm

good one westie !!! can we sit and have a JD and coke in the other !!!! God ... Very Happy Very Happy forgot about the dog!!
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

A pain in the back Empty a pain in the back

Post by kasz Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am

hey Tammy and I can do the same party trick..I can do the touch your toes palms on the floor too..maybe we can demonstrate when we all get together.
kasz
kasz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:16 am

kasz wrote:hey Tammy and I can do the same party trick..I can do the touch your toes palms on the floor too..maybe we can demonstrate when we all get together.

LOL yeah! and its not the same as the old 'rub your elbow to make your arm longer' trick either tongue

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Westie Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:02 pm

This is going to be one crazy get-together - can't wait! Am already warning husb that it will be a long, expensive weekend Very Happy

Westie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down