Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

savel  Courses  hydrobath  dryer  grooming  todd  

When to use the word "Professional".

+2
Cessnock
Tail's a Waggin'
6 posters

Go down

Which one do you feel best represents you and your skills ?

When to use the word "Professional". Vote_lcap0%When to use the word "Professional". Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
When to use the word "Professional". Vote_lcap18%When to use the word "Professional". Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
When to use the word "Professional". Vote_lcap27%When to use the word "Professional". Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
When to use the word "Professional". Vote_lcap18%When to use the word "Professional". Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
When to use the word "Professional". Vote_lcap9%When to use the word "Professional". Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
When to use the word "Professional". Vote_lcap27%When to use the word "Professional". Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 11

When to use the word "Professional". Empty When to use the word "Professional".

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Dog groomer, Pet stylist, CMG, Experienced, Fully quallified or Professional.
I've learnt it is a controversial subject in this industry at any time.....Wink
I've been on this forum for some time now. I've learnt many different things from many very experienced groomers. I've learnt that everyone has a different prospective, a different way of doing things and that anything is possible. I've learn't from experience that sometimes there is more to running a dog grooming business than just being able to clip, style or wash a dog. The only way you will ever be successful in this industry is to have a passion and love for those furry little friends we call clients. That is something that everyone on this forum has in common. Very Happy
I understand the industry is in desparate need of laws to regulate standards, I totally agree. I also understand the fustration that our most experienced & qualified groomers experience when people with no experience operate around them HOWEVER when should the word professional be used Question
I've been running my business & mobile grooming for 8 years full time now.
I was not fortunate enough to be able to do a course that gave me any certification. I learnt from another reputable long standing mobile business. I've also had the oppurtunity to fine tune my skills by doing additional hands on training and attending seminars and training days along with workshops and of course alot of help and support from many talented groomers on this forum.
I've had the opportunity to travel interstate to spend time with an extremely talented groomer who helped me improve my skills and opened my eyes to soooo much more. A very humble groomer who's skill is worthy of being a CMG.
I am indapendant with no employees so every dog is done from start to finish by me in the time that the dog allows me to do so. I don't rush or cut corners because the next customer is waiting. My customers will wait as they expect the same level of consintration and understanding as the customer before them.
I use high quality products bought from reputable grooming suppliers. "Yes" probably the same as some one with 25 years experience.
I've never sedated any of my dogs
I have NEVER nicked or cut a dog and have never had to pay any vet bills except my own. "Yes" I've had close calls like everyone but I've never injured a dog requiring vet treatment. I can take a matted coat off with a 7 skip tooth, no injury. I have been known to do that like a fleece in one.
After years of pushing my self to make those owners happy I now only do 4 grooms in a day. I can give or take a few depending on breed, size and requirements of the dog. Any new dog I allow 2 hours min. Some of my regulars can be done in one hour. I know them, they know me & we have a routine together. You know the ones.....Wink
I've seen many go to Rainbow Bridge Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad and I still have those customers but just with a new member of the family now.
I get referrrals ALL THE TIME from customers who have been to the BIG SALONS and not been happy. I also get customers occasionally from the higher end groomer who has styled the pet beautifully however it "IS NOT PRACTICAL FOR FLUFFY IN THE HEAT" but it looks good.
Another lesson from this forum.... they're are many different forms of grooming out there.
I've seen many people start businesses over the time I've been on the road unsucessfully. They come, they go...
I want to stay in this industry. I take pride in what I do.
HOWEVER I've noticed more than many new businesses starting recently advertised as "FULLY QUALIFIED DOG GROOMER"
I've never advertised my business as anything except "mobile dog groomer". In the last two years I've added the word experienced due to working five - six days a week over the first five years you would think I've earn't that.
I was recently labelled a "Self taught scruber" by a graduate of "ADC" with only 7 months experience who advertises being a fully qualified groomer.
Is that professional Question IMO it's inexperienced. When do we use the term professional Question Question
Is every restaurant in Australia run buy Michellian Star Chef's. "NO" Thank goodness they don't look down on everyone as "doggy poo" or we would all starve.
When do I call myself professional................
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

When to use the word "Professional". Empty Re: When to use the word "Professional".

Post by Cessnock Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Professional is also about the way you conduct yourself in public, with clients, towards other groomers and with the public. Its the whole package. Being able to agree to disagree and knowing what suits you will not always suit or work for another without stepping up on a soap box and praising yourself.
I would class myself as a professional pet stylist running a commercial salon catering for all ends of clientelle. I love and adore all makes and models of dogs. I am always looking to better my skills and my staffs, workshops, online info, anywhere it can ge found!
I have come across some "fully trained" groomers whos skills are well below the learn as yougo from where ever you can groomer. There are so many more things that make a professional stylist than a piece of paper saying its so. Do i advertise as professional, nahhh i prefer to use pet stylist rather than dog groomer.

Tails we have has some great discussions but imo you are a professional, im sure all your loyal clients would agree
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

When to use the word "Professional". Empty Re: When to use the word "Professional".

Post by Chase Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 pm

At the end i think it comes down to if you have enough confidence to call yourself a professional (something to which i don't have yet)

If you look up the definition of professional it says following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain and don't we all come under that category. I also think having more knowledge about dog grooming then your everyday dog owner makes you a professional compared to them.

my understanding of the label master groomer would mean you understand and can execute several breed standard clips with the ability to hide or adjust faults a dog may have while still being able to adept your skills to the everyday dog.

I do agree with cess it is about the whole package and also the passion to keep learning a refining your skills. their is always something new to learn in this industry, i don't think their is a single groomer out their who knows everything there is to know about grooming or dogs for that matter.

For me i am at the point where my confidence is picking up enough to transition myself from dog groomer to pet stylist but when using the word experienced i usually refer it to the amount of years i have been grooming rather then towards my ability (again a confidence thing)

as for you being a professional Sarah i certainly value any knowledge you give as i'm sure many on here so that's a big yes from me
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks.
I suppose this makes me a
untrained experienced professional
according to a recent post but I've never cut a dog. Razz
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by UNM Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am

I charge money, wouldn't do this for free. That makes me a professional.

Yeah nicked a couple over the years and one nasty big vet bill due to a post-op infection that nearly cost the dog its leg (vet post-op check up was too long after the op and it was only skills and dedication of second vet hospital that saved it).

Franchise system I am with is implementing a minimum cert 3/4 TAFE qualification for all.

I don't really care what others call me, long as they value my work.

UNM

Back to top Go down

Post by doghouse Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:25 pm

I own a Salon, but being NO "Regulations" in Australia for groomers & most have learnt from other Groomers,in my opion that if you can do Breed Standard Groom on dogs of many breeds then you can call yourself "Professional", but at the same time, I have dogs (poodles & Bichons mostly) that are brought in to me to fix up because their previous groomer has stuffed up their Poms etc... So if you can do Breed cuts & customer happy & keeps coming back - then you can call yourself a professional.
doghouse
doghouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Susanne Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 pm

UNM said "I charge money, wouldn't do this for free. That makes me a professional." seriously ????? thats it?
sorry doghouse, I can't totally agree with you, but what Cessnock said explains it to a tee,
Susanne
Susanne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down