Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

hydrobath  Courses  grooming  todd  savel  dryer  

how many do you clip in a day!

+15
gumsgrooming
Jackie
Donna
yapidiyap
Emmalovesbeth
DoggyDoos
Sinner
jonna
Tail's a Waggin'
Tanyaka
Chris
CoatCutter
Susanne
Cessnock
bourkejm
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

how many do you clip in a day! - Page 2 Empty Re: how many do you clip in a day!

Post by Tanyaka Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 am

Wow Emmalovesbeth, you work long hours.

I'm starting to work long hours as my business is getting busier, but I still have my other two casual salon jobs. It's getting to that stage where I might be able to drop a day and some hours and make more appointment slots for me, woo Smile

So i'm working 9 til 3 or 4, then going home and working until perhaps 7 or 8. Very tiring, but kinda fun. I think I would like to start work earlier and end earlier though, once I am fully working just my business.
Tanyaka
Tanyaka

Back to top Go down

how many do you clip in a day! - Page 2 Empty Re: how many do you clip in a day!

Post by bourkejm Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:09 am

yeah emmalovesbeth, you do extremly long hours.. would you be able to condense the booking times a bit more to reduce the hours you need to be there. i thought i was a work for eva Surprised Shocked you need to put your bed in the salon lol im sure your customers would be ok with the change of hours and you would have some well earnt down time.. flower
bourkejm
bourkejm

Back to top Go down

Post by yapidiyap Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 am

I've been watching your progress emmalovesbeth over the time you've been on the forum, with interest and I must say that you are an inspiration. I've been grooming for 3 years now and I don't have the speeds you have. Your dedication to your grooming is wonderful. You have certainly overtaken me in terms of your speed and ability.
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:02 am

Yep it is true Our little Emma is all growed up now lol and her determination and perseverence is very inspirational
It has been a pleasure to watch you blossom and grow Emma!!! how many do you clip in a day! - Page 2 428877
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:07 pm

It has been a pleasure to watch you blossom and grow Emma!!!

I couldn't believe the grooming you were doing with kitchen scissors. Remember the blue plastic handle ones...Laughing Laughing . Ohh yes.....

Can I maybe give you some more sound advise Emma.Question

With your dedication and skill you will always be busy ................SLOW DOWN. Just a weeeee bit. I know you've got more energy than most of us but always remember those good habits from the start as your in for the long haul now.....I love you I love you
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackie Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Well I am feeling very slack, I usually do 4 or 5 dogs a day, and it takes me all day to do them, I dont want to do any more dogs, but if I could get them done quicker, then I would only have to work half days!!

So how do you peeps, bath fluff, clip, scissor, answer the phone, talk to clients, and do 8+ dogs a day?

Jackie

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:28 am

I do like you. I am too anal....
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:09 am

At the moment with my hours cut at my regular job i'd be happy to have 3-4 dogs a day on my free days lol.... Other than the obvious of money why would you want to be rushing doing so many per day? Just my opinion but this could lead to burnout really quickly. I would rather do less really well and to be able to connect with the doggies as they pick up on that busy energy (again just my opinion)
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bourkejm Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am

Jackie wrote:Well I am feeling very slack, I usually do 4 or 5 dogs a day, and it takes me all day to do them, I dont want to do any more dogs, but if I could get them done quicker, then I would only have to work half days!!

So how do you peeps, bath fluff, clip, scissor, answer the phone, talk to clients, and do 8+ dogs a day?

i think we must go like a dog shot up the ass lol sorry sick humour. Laughing Laughing Laughing
it is all about time management and speed with quality haircuts as you go and learning to do the same haircut but with shorter methods. short cuts which give you the same results but just quicker.. quality is still better than quantity.
Have a set routine with haircuts ie, after the fluff dry do all your short work then snapon comb work then scissor to finish.
hopefully that speeds you up rather than going back to different parts of the doggie all the time, make every cut count so you dont have to go back and fix it.. that is just my thoughts on the speed thing

there is a saying. "Art is knowing when to stop"
i say this to my girls all the time, if you keep fiddling and fiddling you are waisting time and really will end up stuffing your haircut cause you will wreck the end result by going too far. cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry cherry
bourkejm
bourkejm

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:25 pm

I agree with bourkejm, once you get into a routine and learn when to
stop things do speed up. Its hard for me to say how many I do in a day
being mobile it varies depending on how far I have to travel in between
clients.

On average a bath and clip takes approx 45min, that's for a style cut
using a snap on comb and scissored to finish, providing the dog is in
reasonable condition and does not require to much de-knotting.
A bath and clip with a 7 blade takes approx 30min. matted dogs take anywhere from 30-60min.

I average about 6 small dog clips and 2 large dog baths per day, If i wasn't traveling I could do more. I start at 9am and finish at 6pm and have to allow 15-30min travel time per client

I still make sure all dogs receive lots of cuddles and positive attention.

I have a routine and I stick to it. Have found drying spray helps with cutting down drying time too.

My routine-
1-Dog arrives,
2-I clip under eyes, groin and bottom, trim nails and pluck/wipe out ears,
3-bath and blow dry.
4- Brush and comb out.
5-Clip
6-scissor
7-cologne to finish
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmalovesbeth Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:31 pm

HAHA i cant slow down i am terrible i hate being bored and sitting with nothing to do even in my breaks i am washing towels, bathing my dogs or cleaning out other cages,

I will normally take Sunday off, and as my partner works away in the mines when he gets home we ofter take a night away somewhere.

LOL i remember those sissors and how shocked you all got was very funny.. Times have defiantly changed i have just gone and purchased a $600 pair of shears that i am THRILLED with work like a charm LOL and sent my 3 shears that the wonderful fourm people got me off for their first sharpen and repair!
Also started saving cash as in a few years i want to study in the USA for several months!

I feel i need to work and get my experience up now so when i finally have a family and settle down i can take my hours down, and reduce the load with no worries! PLUS i love it! on my days off i find things to groom Like beth or my piggies LOL, It also seems early morning and late evening are prime hours where i live, i fill the times between 8-10am and 5-7pm very fast in advance!

I have to say with out this forum i doubt i would have come this far, the encouragment and support i received here and continue to recieve is what keeps me striving to get better Very Happy
Emmalovesbeth
Emmalovesbeth

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:43 pm

we are deff from the same generation Emma. Smile
I get bored too. I like to be on the go. At home I am constantly cleaning or tidying up, washing towels, grooming my own dogs etc etc.

This forum has been great for me too, there is no way i would have my business without this forum and you Emma. You showed me that even though we are young we can do whatever we put our minds too. Thanks guys how many do you clip in a day! - Page 2 513983
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by GroomRoom Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Good on ya girls, be glad you have found your passion so early!!! I really wish I discovered grooming right from the beginning of my working life, but I guess vet nursing wasn't such a bad start.
GroomRoom
GroomRoom

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:16 pm

cheers cheers Go for it....Laughing Really well done Emma..Wink I love you
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanyaka Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 am

It is inspiring reading all this!

I think I agree... I like being busy.. but I don't handle it all the time. Sometimes when I'm down to one dog left I just feel so relieved.

I just had my busiest week actually, had 13 dogs booked in (all out of working hours and on my day off and weekend) so I have been grooming all day at work and then coming home to groom at my salon.

I filled every appointment slot I had, if it keeps going like that I will be able to cut my days/hours at my other jobs. Very Happy

I think I'd like to start earlier, I always wake up early and my partner goes off to work well before I have to. When I get busier I may start at 8 instead of 9 and see how that goes. Smile
Tanyaka
Tanyaka

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 am

Good on you indeed - at 58 I don't have your energy level but I still like to keep on the move - just not as quickly Wink . Well done for being so hard working and so enterprising. You will prosper. Just make sure you have insurance in case of accident or illness - it's well worth it.
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Yes, you guys are all going from stength to strength. In this industry there are plenty to go around, particularly in the summer months. I'm sure the quality of grooms from forum members, particularly with all the info re techniques and equipment , is great and that stands us in good stead. I just received a few new bookings ( although I iddnt really need them , but they were referrals from clients ) and it appears a local grooming salon has dropped drastically in standards and the owners are not happy and looking elsewhere. Guess I will be working a little longer days too but as I only usually do 3 days, a few extra wont make a lot of diffence. I'm with you Merryl....at 61 ....I like to persue other interests too....Grand daughter just arrived so I'll be extra busy on days off!!!! She is a real little beauty....Lucy Anne, a brother for Sam ( 17 months old) Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 pm

P.S. Emma, what brand and size are your new scissors????
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by groomer Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm working alone too at the moment. I normally take only 1/2 an hour to 1.15hr to do a complete groom on a dog. But I'm very fussy on the finish!

groomer

Back to top Go down

Post by tezzymusic Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:50 pm

animalia wrote:As I am a newer groomer I still have a bit to go before I can groom 9 dogs in a day properly. I have worked with other groomers that could groom 11 plus dogs in a day including styled grooms aswell, (with a bather)

That's similar to my situation! I would like to groom/clip approx 7 or 8 dogs/day and or unless bathing dogs too!

tezzymusic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum