Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

grooming  dryer  savel  hydrobath  todd  Courses  

Setting up a small salon

+8
Cessnock
mutleymanor
jonna
doglover
Chris
CoatCutter
Donna
gumsgrooming
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Setting up a small salon Empty Setting up a small salon

Post by gumsgrooming Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi guys as some of you may already know in approx 18 months I will be setting up a salon and giving up mobile grooming. My boss at my vet job and I have come to an agreement on space and he is currently having plans put together for our clinics renovations. (we bought the building next door so the clinic is doubling in size)

He has asked me to put together a comprehensive list of what i will require in my area. I have been allocated a space of approx 3.3m wide x 2.7m long. he has agreed to put a shop front in for me Currently there is just a garage door. The area is completely tiled.

I have thought of simple things like hot and cold water, i thought 4 double power points would be good, waste water, air conditioning, rubber matting for the floor.

I will have use of the clinic washer and dryer and can use the clinic kennels.

I am getting a groomers friend tub, table and dryer. but will need to find storage and a small reception desk.

Any help of other things and where to get them would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Carissa
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Setting up a small salon Empty Re: Setting up a small salon

Post by Donna Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:37 pm

What an exciting venture Carissa...All the best with the setting up...Sounds like you definitely have things under control.. Bunnings sell storage units in prefab you might be interested in having a look Smile
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks Donna, I will go have a look there.

I have attached a salon plan of how i am thinking of setting it up at the moment
Attachments
Setting up a small salon Attachment
grooming salon plan.docx salon planYou don't have permission to download attachments.(189 Kb) Downloaded 38 times
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Any chance of the plan in pdf? Not showing up right on my phone properly. Was thinking that 4 doubles might not be enough? Still thinking Smile
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:59 pm

no worries Smile
Attachments
Setting up a small salon Attachment
grooming salon plan2.pdf Salon plan pdfYou don't have permission to download attachments.(68 Kb) Downloaded 19 times
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Nice layout, change your double outlets to the 4 outlet version, depending on your power available you can never have enough.
You will love working in a salon environment Wink
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by doglover Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:45 pm

I would get an electric table rather than a hydraulic as the lift is smoother and less distressing for the dog

doglover

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks, I will see if i can get the 4 outlet ones installed,
so far electrically i have the force dryer, clipper vac, clippers, computer, printer, hand dryer, vacuum cleaner. I guess that's 7 so more may be needed.
and as you said you can never have enough. Smile
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:52 pm

doglover wrote:I would get an electric table rather than a hydraulic as the lift is smoother and less distressing for the dog

I have looked at the electric ones but still like the groomers friend table.

I have one in my trailer and am really happy with it, it goes up and down pretty smoothly.
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:05 pm

gumsgrooming wrote:
doglover wrote:I would get an electric table rather than a hydraulic as the lift is smoother and less distressing for the dog

I have looked at the electric ones but still like the groomers friend table.

I have one in my trailer and am really happy with it, it goes up and down pretty smoothly.

Electric will save you $$ but I have to agree with you Carissa about the Groomers Friends table. Out of all the tables I have seen on the market ( have been researching a lot lately as I need another table for the drying room ) the powder coated aluminum frame with the fiberglass top and stainless steel fittings has to be the best for the prevention of ingres of dog pee/water/moisture etc. All the other tables I have seen have wooden tops with edging and there is now guarantee the dog pee/water/moisture wont soak into the wood base. JMO
Oh and I have 2 of them already and love them Smile

Christopher...

Last edited by PoodleAntics on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 pm

We are currently building a new premises and one main issue re power , if possible run your dryer power points on separate circuits , and make them 15 amp power outlets, especially if they have heating elements.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 pm

You'll never say "Jeez, I regret putting in too many plugs". In the reception area you may want EFTPOS machine, and cordless phone too, so, the more the merrier Smile

With the bath area, are you left or right handed? With the wall mounted dryer, if you're right handed, you may get annoyed having the hose across you as you're trying to work. Maybe switch to the back wall?

With the work area, I'm guessing you'll be working on the matting, but you'll have your back to the door.

Work out where and what lighting you want too.

Just a couple of thoughts. Smile
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Gotta agree with Anthony. I work in the smallest area of all of you but outlets and lighting come first. You can use cup hooks to hold scissors. Very cheap and easy. I use them to hold my clippers, dematters, you name it.
I would just watch the distance between my clipping and bathing area. The moisture from force drying in the tub will kill your tools.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm

I suggest (apart from agreeing with my brilliant forum buddies) two double fluoros (that's with two big windows as well) and putting a big mirror behind your grooming table. (You can pick them up cheap in op shops) Smile .
The other thing I had done was a double power point in the ceiling to avoid tripping over cords.
Good luck! You will have a ball.
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 pm

mutleymanor wrote:
The other thing I had done was a double power point in the ceiling to avoid tripping over cords.
Good luck! You will have a ball.
Agree, have to do this my self...
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks for all your ideas guys, i can't change the location of the bath/table cause the water is only on one side of the room, so my back will have to be turned. I am thinking of keeping the door locked though and having a doorbell.

Thanks Anthony i hadn't thought of what side to put the dryer, i am right handed so will switch it to the other side, can't use the back wall cause there isn't one lol the other half of the room is empty and is going to be used by the clinic at night to dry washing.

My master plan is to become big enough and convince my boss to let me have the other half of the room. My theroy- renting the space makes money, drying washing doesn't

I am thinking the shop front will be glass which will provide light but where should i put in the fluro lights, above the table i guess and above the bath?

Power points in the ceiling is a great idea Merryl thanks.

Also does anyone know if i can change my business name easily, its currently groomin' on the go but I don't feel that to be a good salon name so was thinking of changing it to Penrith Pet Grooming.

Thanks Again

Carissa
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:01 pm

gumsgrooming wrote:Also does anyone know if i can change my business name easily, its
currently groomin' on the go but I don't feel that to be a good salon
name so was thinking of changing it to Penrith Pet Grooming.
Not sure how it works in NSW but I would just register a new business name, and penrithpetgrooming.com.au is available Smile
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Good suggestion Chris then you can retain the old one as a backup in case you want to keep it going or go back to it at any time...Penrith Pet Grooming sounds good and if you are looking to obtain that penrithpetgrooming.com.au domain then this link might help ... https://actsi.biz/whmcs/aff.php?aff=003

Last edited by Donna on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 pm

gumsgrooming wrote:.

Also does anyone know if i can change my business name easily, its currently groomin' on the go but I don't feel that to be a good salon name so was thinking of changing it to Penrith Pet Grooming.

Carissa

I had to change mine last year from my mobile name to the salon....just paid for a new business name & use the same ABN ....for 6 months I ran both business's ..(til I closed the mobile one down)...but because it the same ABN & the same industry, Its only the 1 tax return ...I can cancel my mobile trading name or just let it expire..(which is what i will do ) Smile
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 am

Good luck Carissa. Lighting and power (sufficient amp around dryers with heating I find paramount. You can get "daylight" tubes which give better light too...and maybe a "bell" to let you know when someone enters the shop as you may not notice people whilst working at your stations the way they are positioned. Love all the other input ideas...Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:41 am

Carissa you need lighting more for the table than washing (you do need light to wash of course, but you absolutely need it to clip and scissor). Overall, the more light the better. You may find that the light from the shop front is not enough and I find direct sunlight actually "blinds" me. You need "diffused" light, hence the double fluoros with the diffuser cover.
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Anyone have experience with the new LED lights? They only come in downlights I think, but the light would be good maybe? Saw them on a tv show but don't know much about them.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:44 am

I had a troubleshooter from sunnylighting.com.au visit my salon after the construction as I was having problems with the Compact Florescent Lights down lights burning out. Whilst he was fixing the issue ( had to change the light fitting profile as I was sold the wrong ones) we had an interesting conversation re light output all flouros tubes and CFL's (Compact Floro Lights). The Warm Cool White is brighter than the Daylight by a minimum of 100 lumens and the big thing is Warm Cool White shows colours as it should be. I was a bit skeptical at first but then he showed me the difference via a light meter and a colour test against the wall of the salon. I must say BIG DIFFERENCE. He said for the best light distribution is twin floro's with no diffuser which is what I had in the old salon (wrong tubes) and I would have them in the new salon but I wanted a clean ceiling and I have a lower than normal ceiling hence downlights.
I asked him about LED downlights and he said "Stick with what you have as you cant go tubes" and the conversation ended there re the LED's.

Last edited by PoodleAntics on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed Warm to Cool)
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:03 am

Well i guess his lack of commitment one way or the other speaks for itself on the LED's.. And seems he know being the lighting experts and all Smile
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Here we go, I changed the left light back to Day Light and the right is still Cool White. It is an illusion that the left one is brighter because a light meter cant fudge the reading Smile

Setting up a small salon Daylig10

Last edited by PoodleAntics on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next