Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

todd  Courses  hydrobath  dryer  savel  grooming  

My Girl Bambi

+5
CoatCutter
Bed and Biscuits
Donna
peke-lover
Char Aznable
9 posters

Go down

My Girl Bambi Empty My Girl Bambi

Post by Char Aznable Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi everyone Smile

I'd like to officially introduce my little girl, Bambi. She is about 10 years old and we rescued her almost two years ago from the RSPCA, who seized her from a puppy farming situation. She was desexed and given a health all-clear (except for a possibly wonky knee cap) and we took her home a few days later.

OMG I have never owned a sick dog before! Two days after I brought her home almost all her fur fell out and she wouldn't eat anything. I took her to the vet and was told she had blocked tear ducts, possible arthritis and most likely a meat allergy. I changed her food (we had been feeding her Science Diet like the pound had been) to mostly wet until she stopped vomiting after every single meal. We are now at the point where she can eat a small meal of Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy twice a day and only vomit once a week or so. I'm so happy for her! She cannot eat raw meat or basically any other type of food.

She's been diagnosed with spinal arthritis and dementia since then, and is slowly becoming more and more forgetful. She's still got the most beautiful nature of any dog I have ever met, however. She has snapped at me once and looked MORTIFIED. Poor baby. Sad A bunch of her teeth have been pulled and she needs drops in her eyes for the rest of her life, as well as glucosamine supplements.

It's been a mad roller-coaster ride up until now... but today I got the worst news yet.

She got in the way of my housemate's dog and a bone and received a nice puncture in her neck. When I took her to the closest open-on-a-Sunday-vet, he put the stethoscope to her chest and looked at me.

"You are aware you forgot to mention she has a Grade 3 heart murmur on her medical record form?"

Sad

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I always told myself if we discovered one more health issue that I would give her her wings, but now I'm at that point... I can't do it. She still seems happy. She's on more meds for her bite but the vet is worried because it's quite deep and is still trickling (tiny amounts of) blood hours later. He wants to open her up but with her heart the way it is, it's a HUGE risk. So I'm gonna play the waiting game for now.

Here are some piccies of my little girl. Funnily enough, my friend and I went to St Kilda to take some pro photos of her last week. I had a weird feeling in my stomach the entire time. Now I know why.

http://www.lukewilby.com/for%20Emma/images/full/_MG_6306.jpg (link cos it's HUGE!)

http://www.lukewilby.com/for%20Emma/images/full/_MG_6361.jpg

My Girl Bambi 30957_387626752757_642812757_3995200_6490877_n

My Girl Bambi 17538_303642342757_642812757_3482554_4029377_n

and when we first got her

My Girl Bambi N675306684_1821570_6123

I have the sneaking feeling that the dog who wouldn't last six months with her illness (vet told me) has now wormed her way completely into my heart. I LOVE my first dog Tucker dearly but this little fluffy turd - the type of dog I swore I would never own - has stolen me completely. I love you

Oh, and here's a piccie of Tucker because I feel bad he's completely left out!!! He is a 7 year old JRT x Corgi with no health issues and is a pound puppy too.

My Girl Bambi IMG_9918

Emms xx
Char Aznable
Char Aznable

Back to top Go down

My Girl Bambi Empty Re: My Girl Bambi

Post by peke-lover Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Oh emms, both dogs have life in their eyes and are adorable. how can you go through what you've gone through with Bambi and not want to fight! If she seems in no obvious distress or discomfort then you can only honour her will to live. We are all in this profession because ultimately we love our dogs, and this is no different. You will know the time to let her go, if you have to at all. Keep your strength because so far, Bambi's keeping hers.

Let us know how you go and I've got my fingers crossed I love you
peke-lover
peke-lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:36 pm

A lovely story Emms...what a picture of true courage your little girl paints...through all these challenges she continues to fight...Be guided by her as she will let you know when the right time is...She deserves to be happy and enjoy all the love you can give her for whatever time she has left...prayers for strength for both of you Smile
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bed and Biscuits Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:06 pm

I agree with Donna. Our cat is 19 now, deaf, one eye removed and crippled with arthritis but boy she still has a personality, can move when she needs to and is a spritely thing. Everyone says we should let her go becuase she doesnt look the prettiest but we have had her 19 years now and dont want to make that decision. If the day comes that she is in pain and not enjoying life, we will help her but till then. Your girl looks beautiful and you have done the very best you can with her. Enjoy her till she tells you its time............
Bed and Biscuits
Bed and Biscuits

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:36 pm

As the others have said, you will know when the time is. Enjoy each day you get with her Cool
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by shiveringpuppy Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:42 am

aww... cutezs! exspecially the JRT/Corgi. Wink

shiveringpuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Char Aznable Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi everyone,

it is with a heavy heart that I report that my darling angel grew her real angel wings on the third of December last year. I've not been able to post until now and am still struggling greatly with my loss. I am at a new workplace and every time I see a new dog that looks like her, I start to cry Sad I miss her so much it hurts...

Tucky is lonely without her and I don't know if I can ever have another little one... it broke my heart completely to give her her wings.

I love you, Bambi. I'm so sorry. We get your ashes back next week Sad
Char Aznable
Char Aznable

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Aw, RIP Bambi Crying or Very sad
lorie
lorie

Back to top Go down

Post by peke-lover Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am

Thankyou for posting. i did wonder how you were going.

So so sorry for your loss. You did an amazing job being her mum, had it not been for you, she would have never had a chance at life at all. And I'm sure she got one of the best.

All my love I love you
peke-lover
peke-lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:30 am

Prayers and thoughts are with you at this time...it is never easy to say goodbye...Find comfort in the fact that her pain and suffering is at an end...i pray yours begins to ease with time I love you
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by shiveringpuppy Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:06 pm

My condolences.

shiveringpuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:07 pm

So sorry you're going through this. Hope things improve for you soon. RIP Bambi Crying or Very sad
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:46 am

I am so sorry to hear about your loss of little Bambi Sad How wonderful that she had that time with you in a fantastic home, loved, cherished and returning the love with all her little heart. Rest assured that the forum members all understand exactly how you feel......
The photos are all adorable - you can see that she was having a ball.
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by GroomRoom Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Crying or Very sad So sad for your loss flower
GroomRoom
GroomRoom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content