Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

grooming  todd  dryer  Courses  savel  hydrobath  

yeasty ears

+7
Fluffy
ashababe2002
Sinner
Admin
Donna
jonna
lorie
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

yeasty ears Empty yeasty ears

Post by lorie Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:11 am

natalie has had gunky ears since I have had her. At first I just cleaned them a lot and pulled some ear hair. (I am not used to doing this on my own dog, Mingo never has any ear hair) Then, we went to the vet and he gave me some ointment to massage in. That didn't help. We just went back and this dr gave me something to squirt in there twice a day. He told me to pull more ear hair, she has excessive ear hair...
Has anyone had plain yogert help with yeast? Dr said it was a low grade yeast infection, and it would take a lot to get it to go away. Great!
Dr didn't seem concerned but it bothers me and Nat is running away from me now! She doesn't really scratch but if she starts , couldn't it spread to her feet and then to whereever her feet go?
lorie
lorie

Back to top Go down

yeasty ears Empty Re: yeasty ears

Post by jonna Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am

Gee Lorie, I never had to deal with yeast but did you try the alcohol/cider vinegar mix yet? I really think that would help but Nat will smell like a salad for a bit. I don't think a geasy ointment is gonna work. You gotta dry them ears out and kill the yeast.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:38 am

That's what I thought, about the drying out part!
I knew there was a home recipe, didn't remember what tho. Do you know proportions?

he also flushed her ears, I was leary about doing that until he showed me a plaster ear now I get it where the liquid can only go so far into the ear. Should I FLUSH it with the alcohol/cider vineger?

Still want to know if the yogurt would help, one site said it treats it from the inside out.
lorie
lorie

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:09 am

When I rescued Roxie 8 years ago she has disgusting ears full of gunk... Also lots of ear hair Took her to the vet and they prescribed antibiotics to fight the infection then i got rid of the hair so we could see what we were dealing with she was constantly scratching and you could see they were sore...i cleaned regularly with warm salt water and also had drops from the vet...Not sure if this helps or if the same as what Natalie has but sounds odd putting ointment in to dry it out...Maybe seek another opinion??
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:31 am

vinegar kills yeast so that sounds right .
I know it sounds like a weird idea but ladies , do you think products that we might use for er , um , 'yeast' issue might be of benefit?? just a thought??

PS i am also a believer of yoghurt in the diet, or maybe even a pro biotic capsule for Nat each day

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:44 am

Lorie.....Just google to get the goss on the natural ear cleaners and treatments for ears....We cleaned a dogs ears of the yeasty smell and gunk by using the vinegar and water solution but I suggest Natalie might need to go on a yeast free diet as well ...The no no's are many including all grains-white rice,brown rice , wheat, oats barley, Anything sweet - sugar, honey, molasses,maple syrup,corn syrup. etc. There is a website petstyle.com/dog/health Good luck.... Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:23 pm

I am pretty sure it's 50/50 Lorie.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by ashababe2002 Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 pm

do not put yogurt in her ears!! it has no way of getting out and will go into areas that need to be surgically takebn out! you will end up with a bacterial infection.

If it is a yeast infection vinegar will not work (it works on bacteria)

use malaseb shampoo diluted 20/80water and it should work if you keep going and you must get those hairs out fully as it keeps the yeast a nice place to grow.

I am a vet nurse not just giving random advice i have vets to back me,
hope this works.
ashababe2002
ashababe2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:55 pm

lol no they EAT the yoghurt!

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna try it all, except the yogurt in the ears LOLOL!
Asha, I wasn't gonna put it in her ears but I can see how it looked that way! Shocked

She is on a frozen raw diet now, no grain, no suger..

Vinagar makes sense to me, it is a good all around cleaner, and alcohol will dry it up, I'm gonna try that first..
Why didn't MY vet say some of this stuff scratch
lorie
lorie

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 am

OMG Lorie. You know vets are all about the money. I swear they just want you coming back.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:03 pm

The Malaseb suggested by Ashababe is very good although my vet recommended 30:70. Make up a lukewarm solution and use a syringe (no needle of course) to gently fill the ear and flush out the ear until there is no more gunk - get dog to give a good shake and clean ear with cotton ball. I had to do this for a couple of days before starting drops prescribed by the vet.

Fluffy

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:43 pm

Once her ears are clear (totally agree with the Malaseb and water) to keep them clean and dry you can use this mixture (Ashababe tell me if you disagree, but it was given to me by a vet)
20mls Isopropal Alcohol
5mls acetic acid (vinegar)
15mls H20 (water)
DO NOT use on inflamed/ínfected ears.
Mix and soak a cotton wool ball, wring lightly and wipe ears out.
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:48 pm

BTW Lorie, the ears in poodles have a particular environment (warm and moist) so it helps to shave off the underside of their ears and let more air in. As you now know, they must be plucked. One way to do it is to pluck a few while she is sleeping then pretend you had nothing to do with it. There is ear powder you can dip your fingers in to get more grip Smile
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Mutt, I have no problem plucking ears on someone ELSE'S baby!! Very Happy
IDK, something about Natalie, I never wanted to give her a reason to run away from me cause she is so willing to do anything I wanted. And so I always just cleaned her ears and hoped it would get better without plucking because, well, Mingo never has to be plucked... Dumb reason, I know.
So now, sure enough, after a few days of this she heads in the other direction as soon as I touch her ear. Crying or Very sad
I'l definately shave her ear out more tho, thanks and thanks for the recipe!
Is the shampoo Malasab over the counter?
lorie
lorie

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Do a bit of her ears before dinner time Lorie.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

It is in Australia. (Malaseb, that is.) If you do the plucking while she is sleeping she won't connect it with you, trust me! And it does have to be done Rolling Eyes Desensitise her by gently rubbing her ears and stopping before she reacts. I'm a nazi - I just tell them to get over it and pluck away Embarassed I just know the problems that arise if you DON'T PLUCK! Sorry Crying or Very sad
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 am

Gee Lorie, I won't be up your way in a while. I will pluck them out. I will use chalk, better grip. I am pretty sure you can buy that over the counter. Heck I may even have some here?
That sounds like the right ratio Merryl. It makes sense to me. For what that's worth.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 am

Ear plucking is an interesting topic as over the last couple of years several vets, groomers and dog people have said to me that they have stopped plucking and cleaning like they used to as it can actually lead to problems.

I have taken a less invasive approach with my male standard (even though he has enough hair in each ear to construct a toy poodle) I only pluck a couple of times per year - and I never completely pluck just thin them out. If his ears get mucky I clean them with a proffessional solution. I do, however, check his ears weekly (especially over the summer months when he goes swimming a lot). He has had one ear infection in the last 6 years and that occurred after I completely plucked his ears and he went swimming - my theory is that the hair actually helps to keep the water out.

Tracy

Last edited by Fluffy on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Fluffy

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:47 am

The hair grows down into the ear canal - that can't be good.
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 pm

I like the bit about "see your vet", but this is a good basic on ear cleaning and or plucking. I guess it really depends on the state of the dog's ears to begin with. Smelling them is a very gentle way of checking them too
http://www.ehow.com/video_2275320_clean-dog_s-ears.html Wink
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:49 pm

Yup! And Nat's stunk!! Very Happy
But hey, they were Nazi's ( I like that ) about it in school, I have chalk and I'm not afraid to use it.. Laughing
I just don't want to pluck if I don't HAVE to, but it looks like I DO have to.. they look better already.
To pluck or not is a big debate here too..so what I do with clients is:
Pluck if the ear looks good and healthy.
Don't pluck if the dog gives me any trouble about it above a little whine.
Don't pluck if it looks like sometihing is going on in there. Then I tell owner to have Vet do it.

When I was at the vet he showed me a plaster ear, cut sideways and said he could not tell me if the ear hair grew past the first bend or not, but it could. That was interesting, even if I used a q-tip there was no way to pop the eardrum. Another incorrect tidbit from school.
lorie
lorie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesley Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 am

Can you get Listerine Mouthwash? The brown original one, NOT any other. That is just about THE best thing for yeasty ears. Just wash out twice a day. It is a staple in many groomers cabinets over here. We tend not to use malaseb in the UK so much now. Thornit powder is again excellent for bad ears, and it is the only powder I use for plucking

Last edited by Lesley on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Lesley

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:16 am

Ear plucking....hate it. I only pluck what will come out. I don't force. I get a couple shih tzus whose ears are so bad and gunky. Never know if I should get it all or just what will pull.....Sometimes I think bad ears are just inherited.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by shiveringpuppy Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Interesting... I alway pluck my clients and never had an issue with it.
Malaseb shampoo usually are related to Vet's and I don't think it's over the counter in US.
Have you try EzGroom's Ear Magic or Davis's EarMed Boracetic Flush that have the Boric Acid in it?

shiveringpuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum