Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

savel  Courses  grooming  hydrobath  todd  dryer  

bathing cats

+15
Merl31
gumsgrooming
lorie
Cessnock
Sinner
ashababe2002
StarDreaming
Bed and Biscuits
shiveringpuppy
Emmalovesbeth
mutts cutts
jonna
CoatCutter
Aunty Marg
Admin
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

bathing cats - Page 2 Empty Re: bathing cats

Post by All Over Grooming Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:00 pm

I did a couple of cats when i first started grooming...first one was ok...second one bit me on the wrist and cost me a week off work. The owner told me she regularly bathed and dried him what she neglected to tell me and her husband told me..was that the only way she could do this was if her husband wore protective clothing and secured the cat....so no more cats for me!!

All Over Grooming

Back to top Go down

Post by shiveringpuppy Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:37 am

Hard to believe but there are nice cats out there and I love doing those VS a mean spoiled dog. Always try to test their personality when doing the nails first. If it's too aggressive don't do it. No use to stress them out and cause yourself an injury. Helps if you have an air muzzle if you want to deal with aggressive cats.

shiveringpuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 am

Agree with Shirley.
As a rule I don't groom cats. But I do have a few. they are basically nice kitties. When I do get a call I have alot of questions. Then I decide if I will groom them.
The client always stays and helps. I can't do it by myself. Most insist on helping and I am watchful of injury.
I was bit bad once a long time ago. It really sucks.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by shiveringpuppy Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 am

Yea I also got bit really bad before. Always ask alot of questions on the phone and always let them know if they get too aggressive that you will call right away and can't do it/ make sure they know that. Or just do the nails first when the cat get there/owner standing there and you can test their personality that way... so if you can't just give the cat back.

I had some cats that I can't even do the nails or they won't even get out of the carrier... so they just go back home.

Sad there's so many bad owners out there especially with cats that made them all that way 80% of the time. They just get them when they are kittens and just let them do whatever in the house, free feed all day... only a bath/groom twice or once a year.

Off topic but there's a show on Animal Planet ... *My Cat From Hell*. Learned sooo much from that show.

shiveringpuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:30 am

I saw that show was on. I should have taped it. I will see if it's gonna be on again.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel_saza Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:14 pm

So the general consensus to hydrobathing a cat is in a wire cage?

Angel_saza

Back to top Go down

Post by yapidiyap Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:59 am

No this would terrify a cat. I'd go slow and give comfort if stressed. If cat is upset use a air muzzle. can calm them down but not always
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel_saza Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks Yap. I looked at air muzzles.. got a few other things to buy before one of those. Ive been desensitising my Tonkinese by brushing him in the bath, will wash him one day..

Angel_saza

Back to top Go down

Post by Shonnie Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:50 pm

I love the idea of sticking them in a cage and washing them that way! hahahaha just kidding but it seriously gave me some great mental images haha

I groom A LOT of cats but since I work at a vet clinic 99% of them are sedated anyway. The odd ones that aren't I scruff even if they are nice kitties and take things very slow. The water is not so bad, it's normally the blow dryer they REALLY object to.
Shonnie
Shonnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2