Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

Courses  dryer  hydrobath  grooming  savel  todd  

Grooming courses

+16
poodle3081
Chris
B&B
Bed and Biscuits
mutleymanor
ashababe2002
Sinner
poochpamperer
yapidiyap
Donna
CoatCutter
littles
Admin
peke-lover
Jacqui
justpets
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Grooming courses Empty Grooming courses

Post by justpets Sun May 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Hi
Just wondering if any one has done any courses with the Australian School Of Pet Care

Cheryl

justpets

Back to top Go down

Grooming courses Empty Re: Grooming courses

Post by Jacqui Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 am

Hi Cheryl!

I have a young girl who has been doing work placement with me for about 2 yrs now. She does a few hours 2 days a week, school 2 days a week and is supposed to be at a TAFE course 1 day a week. Instead she is doing the basic grooming course via correspondence with the Australian School of Pet Care Studies.
As is usual, this course has focused on hair types and specific breeds (no cross breeds silent ), tools and skin conditions. With the course being via correspondence Michelle has been able to plod through it at home on the internet and get the hands on experience with me, allowing me to show her a few different ways to clip and scissor, rather than be stuck with the courses particular style. Although the course hasn't yet touched on any clipping or scissoring.
One thing the course has brought up so far is genetics. It was so involved and intense that poor Michelle freaked out thinking this was a major part of dog grooming. After i read the literature in the module even i was completely confused and baffled. It really went in depth about how genetics affects hair colour and type. In my view this was a complete waste of time, especially in a BASIC dog grooming course!
She is only half way through so im not sure what sort of practical assignments she will have. The school has not contacted me at all about whats to be done, but im not even sure if thats what they are supposed to do! Michelle is allowed to work on it at her own pace over 6 months.

For $500 its probably good value as far as dog grooming courses go, but as usual, alone it will not give her the experience needed to become a good groomer.

Jacqui

PS: it does worry me a little when the module author refers to matted dogs as mattERed dogs. Makes me cringe!

Jacqui

Back to top Go down

Grooming courses Empty Australian School of Pet care !!!!!

Post by justpets Mon May 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Jacqui
thank you so much for your reply
Both David & My self signed up to do the course
we live 4 hours away from Melbourne and thought it would be good to do a course
they assured me that all I would need to do is phone us for assistance
Well what a joke that has been.
We both Work and I work in a Supermarket and also in Hospitality
and keep all sorts of strange hours I told them this and yet they persist in phoning me back
when I am at work then that Donna Smith sent me this nasty email saying that I am never
home when they ring to try and help me
Any way I have decided that this is not the best course for us and I asked for a refund
of our money less the Start up fees which I am happy for them to keep as they have
sent us out DvD's & books & paper work but Donna Smith wont do it for me she has flatly
refused to refund our money and she told me that if I exceed this last extention that she
has granted that we have to resign up and pay more fees
I am so pissed off with her I am thinking of taking the matter up with Consumer affairs or
get some legal advise
I do agree with you hands on learning is so much better all the things we know we have
learn't from watching DVD's and books & practice on Friends pets
We are now building up quite a clientel of friends pets

thanks for your reply have a great day Cheryl. bounce

justpets

Back to top Go down

Post by peke-lover Mon May 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Cheryl that sounds terrible if you explained your circumstances right from the start. You're right though, nothing beats hands on. There are older posts about the same subject, but have you approached your local pound or rescue place and offered your services there to try and build up hands on experience?
peke-lover
peke-lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 11, 2009 2:58 pm

OMG Shocked

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Grooming courses Empty Courses, Schools & Qualifications

Post by littles Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I am very interested to know where we all stand with our qualifications / certifications etc, as I have been looking around online at grooming courses and must say I am quite confused as to what is required to qualify as a professional pet groomer?
I'd love to hear what certifications you all have, or if you are unqualified (even if you've been grooming for 10 years!).
Also, what grooming courses or schools did you use and how did you find them overall?
Lastly, is there a requirement by law to be a certified groomer before you can professionally groom?

I'd love to hear your feedback on this one!
littles
littles

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:40 pm

I think all of us have our qualifications through the school of experience. To qualify to groom, all you need is a pair of scissors and a set of clippers Rolling Eyes Don't have much experience with courses personally, but beware of the expensive ones where you are basically a labourer for a busy shop. Have worked with a few that have been through them, and most had to have more training. There are a couple of people on here that have done courses, so they will be able to help you with them.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by littles Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:37 pm

I agree that the knowledge and experience gained by actually grooming is of far more value....as far as I can work out, the grooming schools and courses will teach nothing new, rather going through the absolute basics which we already know, so aside from the fact that you may receive some kind of certificate for doing the course, it does seem to be a waste of both time and money.
I have no formal training myself and was just feeling a little inadequate lol oops
littles
littles

Back to top Go down

Post by justpets Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi All
Just do your self a big favor and really check out any advertised courses
before you sign up or pay any money.
We signed up for the grooming course with the Australian School of
pet care. (Big Mistake )
We found that we didn't have enough time to spend on it and I asked
if I could get a refund & pull out of the course but to this date they
wont refund any of our money.
to complete the practicle part of the course they ask you to video
your self clipping a dog and send it in to them .
how they are able to tell what kind of a job you do is beyond me
hands on experience sounds the best way to learn

Cheryl & David justpets

justpets

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 am

Justpets (David and Cheryl)
Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience...Hopefully justice will prevail soon and you will be recompensed...
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by yapidiyap Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:30 pm

I am based in NSW and did my course last year. It was called Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services RUV40304. I went through The Parramatta College and was trained by Debrah Ryan who is a master groomer. She was so knowledgable, a great teacher. I was so lucky to have her train me. The course went for 4 weeks and was hard work and very intense. There was only myself and another girl enrolled. I would not like to have started this career without that training behind me. The learning goes on even after the course is over. After being on the road for nearly a year, I have much more confidence now. I buy DVD's and watch them again and again. They're a huge help. Formal training is only one component of the learning process in the grooming industry. For me, it was necessary as I didn't know anyone who did grooming who could show me what I needed to know. When I see some of the grooms that members has shown who have no formal training, I'm in awe and aim for that sort of quality. I'm not there yet. There is a lot to be said for experience.
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

Post by poochpamperer Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Believe me when I say that all groomers are still learning no matter how many years of experience they have! Smile
poochpamperer
poochpamperer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 am

I'd have to agree and of course we all do things differently and it's always good to try something different. New products get tried and tested and we all like a particular look with finishes. Havent we got such a diverse bunch of people on this forum....Open to all ...Love your avatar ( I love that look with the short ears) Very Happy Very Happy
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by poochpamperer Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks. That's my Lhasa 'Harry'. He's so cute!
poochpamperer
poochpamperer

Back to top Go down

Post by ashababe2002 Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm

so tempted to write my own correspondance grooming course

i am so sick of dodgy ones and even proper courses are dodgy here in perth

i am teaching a few people at the moment and apparently have the knack for teaching.

want to start a course but worried bout certification i need or something/government?
ashababe2002
ashababe2002

Back to top Go down

Post by ashababe2002 Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 pm

does anyone know the price of getting Certified Master Groomer certificate?
ashababe2002
ashababe2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 pm

ashababe2002 wrote:does anyone know the price of getting Certified Master Groomer certificate?

http://www.piaa.net.au/
scroll down on the left side , got to the CMG link...there is an email contact for more info on CMG, as well as a list of CMG's and their contact details.

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by poochpamperer Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:40 am

I can't remember how much it costs, the last time I spoke to Janine Yeates at the Pet Expo last year she was saying something putting together a new course
poochpamperer
poochpamperer

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 pm

On a lighter note, I had a lady ring me for a friend who wants to become a groomer. After questioning and finding that she hasn't even groomed her own dogs, plans to buy $30 clippers Rolling Eyes and use her household scissors I washed my hands of the whole affair Mad I think they were hinting for me to teach her What a Face Run away! Run away!
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bed and Biscuits Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Yes! Run, run as fast as you can................. I get a few clients ring me and say they want to set up a grooming salon cause what I do looks quite easy to operate. I always try and steer them in the opposite direction. I mean, you can normally weed out the serious ones!
Bed and Biscuits
Bed and Biscuits

Back to top Go down

Post by mutleymanor Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:11 am

Bed and Biscuits wrote:Yes! Run, run as fast as you can................. I get a few clients ring me and say they want to set up a grooming salon cause what I do looks quite easy to operate. I always try and steer them in the opposite direction. I mean, you can normally weed out the serious ones!
Seriously? Easy to operate Rolling Eyes I usually give them a rough estimate of the cost of equipment, not to mention mbile set up or salon.My partner worked out that I have to groom thousands of dogs to pay off my grooming building - lucky it's dual purpose Wink
mutleymanor
mutleymanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ashababe2002 Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Sooo... had a lady email me about wanting to learn to groom her new puppy

quoted her $50 per hour for me to teach using my tools, needs about 3 hours then 3 hours in 8 weeks when due again.

quoted price for proper clippers and 2 blades and scissors, comb, brush etc,

we will see if she is still interested.

also quoted $50 a groom every 8 weeks in one year cost $300 in 12 years cost $3600 if price never goes up lol

does this all sound alright to you????
ashababe2002
ashababe2002

Back to top Go down

Post by B&B Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Anyone have any experience with www.australiandogcentre.com.au ??

I would like to do more formal training. I am happy with how my grooming is progressing, but I am on my own all day and don't get the opportunity to see other groomers in action.

Last edited by Barney&Betty on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
B&B
B&B

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 am

Nicky and Mel from ADC are lovely ladies and the same goes for Deb Ryan from Dog Grooming Australia http://www.doggroomingaustralia.com.au, both companies run excellent classes IMO
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 am

I undertook the 55 day course through the Australian dog centre and its worth every cent. You learn a lot and become very confident with your grooms!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next