Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

grooming  todd  savel  Courses  hydrobath  dryer  

Kennel Cough

4 posters

Go down

Kennel Cough Empty Kennel Cough

Post by pawsenses Fri May 01, 2009 10:03 pm

In 20 odd years in dogs - taking them regularly to shows etc I have never had kennel cough. They are of course vaccinated (that in itself could be the sart of another thread).

Last March, several of us went to a show and most of our dogs got the cough. Once I stopped panicking - after researching the issue, it was no major incident. They coughed, I could not take them to a public situation- then it was over.

Whilst I was away my current winning pup was shown (just to brag - another Baby In show!!) he contracted the cough whilst there. But this time he went down hill badly, a temp of 40 deg, lethargy and non eating. He is fine now after emergency treatement. My vet said there is a really virilent strain going round just now and dogs are reacting badly.

Just a warning for your own dogs and for clients - dont't take any chances.

Jan
pawsenses
pawsenses

Back to top Go down

Kennel Cough Empty Re: Kennel Cough

Post by kasz Fri May 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks for that Jan...I had an incident with kennel cough a few years ago. My nieghbours dog was in a boarding kennel and come home with the cough, about a week later my border collie come down with it too, how I don't know as they had not been playing together and being a rural property our houses are not that close together so they were not in close contact that way either, although I have been told that it does travel thru the air over a large radius (don't know if this is true or not) My dog did not have any other symtoms but the cough, no sickness fever etc and the other dogs in the household were fine absolutley no symtoms, but wow did I have a panick thinking I was going to carry this on to customers....never done so much disinfecting ever!!!
kasz
kasz

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Fri May 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Sorry to hear the little one went through such a tough time...Hope all is well now and thanx for the warning!!!
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kasz Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 pm

whoops sorry Jan I meant to ask if your little fella was ok too...sorry to hear he went thru that, he'll be back in "winning" form in no time!! Smile
kasz
kasz

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatsntails Sat May 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks for the warning Jan. Hope bubs is okay now. Was just doing a vet nurses dog and she backed up what you just said that there is a virulent strain of KC going around. Get out the Benadryl folks.
Coatsntails
Coatsntails

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down