Visitors Map

Keywords

Old ear cures...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Ear Cures:

Post by Tail's a Waggin' on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:51 pm

didn't use cotton wool balls in the dogs ears while washing the dog claiming 'even one drop of water can cause an ear infection'.

Aaahh so when their is an ear infection why are we flushing it out with a solution of maleseb and water, DA.
I don't plug ears with wool, like Tammy said get's wet anyway. Ha

What should we do or not do?????? What we feel is best for our furry friends. Smile
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Re: Old ear cures...

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Tail's a Waggin' wrote:
didn't use cotton wool balls in the dogs ears while washing the dog claiming 'even one drop of water can cause an ear infection'.

Aaahh so when their is an ear infection why are we flushing it out with a solution of maleseb and water, DA.
I don't plug ears with wool, like Tammy said get's wet anyway. Ha

What should we do or not do?????? What we feel is best for our furry friends. Smile

That was Andie said that ,not me....but i agree anyway.I have never used cotton wool in ears ,or drops in eyes etc....and same story......Some dogs i groomed for 15+ yrs ,never an issue ! Show dogs done weekly,never an issue !

Admin
Non Active Admin - Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by petgroomaustralia on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 pm

Water going in the ears isnt a problem, bacteria and yeast are the problems. With the Malaseb dilution in the hydrobath just point the hose in the ear (not right up against the ear but not too far away either, if you think its too strong reduce the flow a bit with your fingers) and wash it out good, it wont hurt them, dogs ear canals go in and then down, not just in like ours do. They will shake the gunk up and the excess water out. I've never used cotton wool in the ears and we always soap up the outer part of the ear when we wash them to get them really clean and never have any ear problems from that. And I've never once in nearly 15 years had an eye problem from shampoo and we soap that area up very well too.

I havent seen that vet on Groomer Has It say anything sensible yet, the US groomers didnt like her either.
petgroomaustralia

Back to top Go down

Post by petgroomaustralia on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:47 pm

What should we do or not do?????? What we feel is best for our furry friends. Smile[/quote]

Do exactly what you feel comfortable doing. If you are not comfortable with flushing, dont do it, if you are, go ahead.
petgroomaustralia

Back to top Go down

Post by petgroomaustralia on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:54 pm

peke-lover wrote:Not sure if I want to start talking about that Groomer program on Foxtel because some of you won't have seen it, but talking about ear problems, this weeks episode featured a vet (one of the judges) downing a groomer because he didn't use cotton wool balls in the dogs ears while washing the dog claiming 'even one drop of water can cause an ear infection'. How true is this and does everyone use cotton wool balls while washing??

They also werent happy about excess ear powder in the ears. Now that is actually true. If you use too much of those ear powders it can go down the ear and become compacted when it gets moist. Its better to put some in a container and dip your fingers in it than it is to put it directly in the ear as you can easily use too much this way. I personally think those products are too soft to use to coat your fingers, almost like talcum powder to the touch so I use chalk and it makes plucking very easy.
petgroomaustralia

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11 pm

So do you mean a stick of chalk, or some chalking powder.?
Destiny

Back to top Go down

Post by petgroomaustralia on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Any chalk will do. I usually use the Bio-Groom harsh coat grooming powder, I also use it for adding texture to westie heads and for handstripping terriers. I only buy 1 or 2 containers of it a year, it lasts for ages and is pretty cheap. Wooferwares sell it.
petgroomaustralia

Back to top Go down

Post by pawsenses on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Fascinating topic - like most on this forum. I use Epi-otic on my show dogs - and i have to say my use is sporadic to say the best - I know - fellow show people, I should be more dilligent. People always talk about Spaniels and bad ears. In 23 years and numerous dogs - never a bad ear. So my vote is for Epiotic. I tell my puppy buyers to use it and encourage them to contact me with ANY issues - no bad feed back to date

As for no water in the ears (as per the Vet grooming judge) - phah. When you are madly bathing/drying four coated Springers on a Friday night before the shows - and you want to get to bed within cooee of midnight - I suspect a bit of water gets in there!!

Vets can get on my dander at times. We need them - but they do tend to treat experienced people like idiots, and are totally out for the dollar added opportunities - eg: dog food which has been covered elsewhere. And i could go on - a pet topic silent

PS: I love my (carefully chosen)vet.

Jan
pawsenses

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top