Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

savel  todd  Courses  dryer  hydrobath  grooming  

Dealing with Council

5 posters

Go down

Dealing with Council Empty Dealing with Council

Post by ironbutterfly Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 pm

I've hit a snag with starting my business.
I'm in a unique situation but really want to know how people have handled planning permit applications. Like what have you included that might of helped tip you past the red tape.
Also.
I need to do an application but they can not tell me what permits or approvals I need. No-one knows, but they have the information for a piggery Question. So if you have a salon what red tape/issues did you have to meet to gain approval.

I don't think I will be knocked back, there is only one lady operating 45 min drive away who only washes dogs and no interest as yet to actually groom, she's doesn't have planning approval by what I can gather. But the money factor in having to take it back and forward to council I want to avoid if possible.

ironbutterfly

Back to top Go down

Dealing with Council Empty Re: Dealing with Council

Post by Chase Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

are you grooming from a salon or home
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by ironbutterfly Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:20 pm

From home.
I have letters from my adjoining neighbours stating they have no objections to my business but it's more the health/environment concerns I need to cover. Dealing with fleas/ticks, noise isn't an issue as the dogs would not be staying over night and it will be by appointment only so unless someone has 2 dogs there will only be the one I'm grooming and mine on the property. At this point it would be easier to go into a commercial property but the cost of renting one etc is too high for a dog or 2 a day.

ironbutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:23 pm

I would do as much research on your local council website first because majority of the time the people working their don't know the right answer and can actually be more troublesome for you from them guessing what you should do. for my local council their website stated that i only need a permit if i intend on boarding animals over night ( to which they gave a least of business and grooming was not on their) and can run a business from home only if i am using the same amount of water and electricity as the average household. 
I don't board animals and my sister is the only one who lives in the house so the amount of water and electricity used is less than the average household. I decided not to contact the council at all and just printed the information stated on their website so i can refer to it if they ever question anything. My council area is pretty easy going on things like this though. 

don't get me wrong, Im am not suggesting not to contact your council but just do your research before hand to make it easier for yourself if you do contact them at least if the person does not know you can refer them to their own website

Also check and see if your state has any regulations as well
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by peke-lover Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Ive just been through this process, but for a commercial premises. For commercial, even though it may not relate to a home business, they needed to see floor plans (the owner didnt have any and so I just drew them up myself), health wanted to deal with me having a filter system (just turned out I had to buy a sink strainer for the hair), they wanted to see where items would be placed on the floor plan, they needed to know opening hours and times, where any signage would go including any pavement signs and what size, how many staff I would employ if any, where the plumbing was in the shop, rubbish disposal, building plans (includes a map of the streets you are on) and parking availability. Thats about it, they didn't ask for alot but they still took 3.5 mths to approve it. For home they will ask about parking, my friend got turned down working from home because she was in a middle unit of 3 and only had one parking spot avail. The more info you can give the better, I included photos, anything to help with the process. Good luck if you choose to proceed.
peke-lover
peke-lover

Back to top Go down

Post by misskja Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Hahahahaa a piggery, really? That's hilarious but incredibly frustrating for you ironbutterfly. I agree Chase, great advice too. Like you I didn't contact my local council and for similar reasons. I researched my councils website plus a neighbouring one and found nothing in relation to Pet Grooming. From memory the only mention of dogs/cats was in relation to boarding. I've operated out of a garage in a residential street for over seven years without a hitch. I ran weekly playdates for a few years and often had 20 odd dogs in the yard (25 was the record, crazy fun). A properly managed dog grooming business is surprisingly unobtrusive really. Any progress?
misskja
misskja

Back to top Go down

Post by kezza Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:19 pm

You could use the Australian Business Licence and Information Service - go to www.business.gov.au and you should find it on there.  It asks a set of questions around where you are starting and what you are doing and gives you a list of the licences, permits etc that you need.  At least you can then ring them about the specific licence and enquire about that - hope this helps.

kezza

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down