Visitors Map

Keywords

Need anyones help/opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need anyones help/opinion

Post by Chase on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:38 pm

At the moment I am looking after my cousins little jack russel while they go on holidays. Every time the dog comes here my heart aches of the neglect of this dog. Last time they drop him off I notice he had a broken tooth which looked like it had been broken for a while. Told them he needs to be taken to a vet but today I look it's still their.

Today they dropped him off while I was not home and when I saw him notice his ears have been badly fly bitten. I will probably end up taking him to the vet to get his ears fixed but really can't afford it.
So just wanting to know if their is anything I can do to avoid the vet trip, will probably take him anyway but if their is treatment I can do at home I would love to know.

I was going to start by washing his ears tonight with salty water. Wish I had the balls to call RSPCA on family but being such a large family worried about the consequence. In the meantime this poor dog suffers
Sorry about the long post
Chase

Back to top Go down

Re: Need anyones help/opinion

Post by scallywags on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:48 am

I had a customer tell me once that for flybite they used a product called 'fittabac' (or something like that) and they just purchased it from the local produce store.

As far as dealing with family who don't care for their animals as much as you do it's a really difficult situation you are in and I really don't know what I would do either. Maybe you need to tell them the tooth is so bad that it's infected and if it's not seen to soon it'll end up costing them heaps more ...... they sound like the sort of people who don't even visit the vet for yearly vaccs.

Good luck Smile
scallywags

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Salt water is a good idea, also there is Troy Fly Repella Cream which you can get from Pet stores, works wonders...
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by DoggyDoos on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:07 pm

As already stated, keeping the affectd area clean is extremely important to prevent further fly-strike. Fly repellant ointment to the ears as Chris mentioned above, or a spray called musca-ban that you can get from vets, produce and pet stores.

You could also keep the dog indoors during that day when flies are at their worst.
DoggyDoos

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks guys for your help. It's a constant battle with this dog but at least i know when he comes to my house he gets a bit of relief wish I could keep me. The owners say to me when comes back from my house his a different dog I have to stop spoiling him. First time I have opened my mouth and said no that's not spoiling him thats called looking after your dog
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by DoggyDoos on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:05 pm

It makes you wonder why some people have pets!!!
DoggyDoos

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 pm

These guys have always had pets and had so many that i never saw again after puppy and kitten (could tell you some horror stories). this one i think he is about 5 or 6 and very surprised they have had him for so long but don't know if he is better off or the ones that went through their hands so quickly.

Any way have been washing his ears with the salt water and remembered i had neotopic-h lotion from when chase had a skin allergy, its a local anaesthetic amoung other things and although i don't think its ment for fly strike he has not been bothered by his ears so much since i have been putting it on.

his ears do look a little better and i don't think their are flys that bite near my place. so i am hoping by the time they get back his ears would have cleared up enough that flys are not so much attracted to it. I will be sending him home with the troy fly repella chris suggested, heres hoping that they will actually put it on his ears.

Poor thing has already lost part of his ear when he was a pup, was bitten by a cat they did nothing about it and the tip died and fell off. you would think you would want to preserve what ears he has left
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 pm

You are a wonderful person Chase...
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top