Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

dryer  grooming  hydrobath  todd  Courses  savel  

IOD shampoo and Sodium Laureth Sulfate

+2
Chase
Briggi
6 posters

Go down

IOD shampoo and Sodium Laureth Sulfate Empty IOD shampoo and Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Post by Briggi Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wondering whether to invest in IOD shampoos. Have tried samples they sent and I do like them. But the thing I'm worried about is that there seems to be a lot of ingredients (ingredients that have very long chemical sounding names) in their shampoos. And they use Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Now I know Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is the really nasty ingredient, but does anyone know whether Sodium Laureth Sulfate irritate too?

At the moment I use tropiclean's spa renew and I can actually understand all the ingredients they list. Whereas with IOD it's like what the? Now I know I'm being fussy but I would prefer to really know what's in the shampoos I use.

Anyone got any advice? Smile
Briggi
Briggi

Back to top Go down

IOD shampoo and Sodium Laureth Sulfate Empty Re: IOD shampoo and Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Post by Chase Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:20 pm

They are both similar but one is derived naturally and one is derived synthetically but I can't remember which is which.

Either way I don't think one is any better then the other. I have a lot of problems with these Products in my own hair and scalp and both have the same effect on me.

I use progrooms shampoos and to be honest although I have checked other shampoos I have not checked all the ingredients with their but love the results I get and even though I'm sensitive to a lot of soaps I don't have any skin irritations with theirs.

As for understanding the ingredients I suggest googling those you don't understand because sometimes its a natural ingredient and they are using the scientific name or the name of the ingredient after being processed.
Hope that helps
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

IOD shampoo and Sodium Laureth Sulfate Empty Re: IOD shampoo and Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Post by jonna Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:40 pm

I have never had a problem with their products. If you like I can post the email to talk directly with a rep.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:18 pm

My response might be a bit off topic and a ramble, apologies in advance...

I did the Bather Brusher course presented by Teri DiMarino a couple of years back and it was an eye opener regarding shampoos.

These are notes taken from the class...

To put it in perspective, her husband is an industrial chemist and she publicly stated that SLS is safe as most dog shampoos have it as surfactant.

Yes it can cause irritation but it is found in most dog shampoos. If you change shampoos skin allergies will show up in the first 24hours.

If you are really worried about SLS or SLES then you would need to stop using a lot of personal products like toothpaste, handcreams, shampoos, face creams etc, not Smile

It was proved in the US that SLS or SLES is not a carcinogen.

Coconut is great cleanser and good replacement for SLS, so any coconut based shampoo is worth a look in.

Did you know that there is no such thing (at that time) as a Natural Dog Shampoo? All shampoos are made in a laboratory what is Natural about that! Even today one of the bigger US shampoo suppliers state:

"Cutting Edge All Natural Ingredients using the latest scientific knowledge we’ve combined functional ingredients with high quality active naturals. Our products are manufactured only in FDA approved laboratories", go figure...

So would I use SLS based shampoos you may ask...I do Smile
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm

I have to agree and disagree with you Chris

SLS was proven not to be a carcinogen. But if you read up on the study it also states that the duration of the study was short with limited details and limited data.

SLS are in a lot of products you also missed laxatives and enemas, and a recipient in dissolvable aspirin. Although it is not a carcinogen it has shown to irritate the skin with prolonged and constant exposure, worsen skin problems and in toothpaste causes reoccurrence of ulcers. In animal studies it has caused skin and eye irritations.

Coconut is a great alternative. I have managed to eliminate SLS in most of my daily products. Majority of what I use being coconut based. My shampoos, moisturerisers, face wash, body and hand soaps are all SLS free. Before I changed over my skin used to be very dry and itchy and I had extremely bad acne. Now my acne is almost clear and people always compliment and ask me how my skin is so soft. Even toothpaste although hard to find you can obtain SLS free or those that don’t sudd so much have a reduced amount of SLS. I still use products that do contain SLS you are right in can’t be completely eliminated as you are using other peoples hand wash and soaps. And when I’m working in the café my hands always break out after using the detergent

It comes down to looking at why they put SLS in products and the reason is to act as a foaming agent. So the question I asked when considering removing it, is it worth risking something that’s on the fence about how it effects us just to have a product that foams more. From what I have found products that don't sudd cleans just as well as products that do.
Chase
Chase

Back to top Go down

Post by GroomRoom Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 am

I think everyone to their own, but I really do worry about all the chemicals used in ALL products not just dog shampoos. I am using progroom shampoos to help avoid some of the more harsher ingredients for the dogs, I figure it certainly can't hurt. I also use a shampoo/conditioner on my own hair that is sls sles and free of parabens and mineral oils. This is a start, I know it is in a lot of other products too and I am working on alternatives for this but my scalp is something I have had problems with for a long time. Do your own research and make your choices is my personal opinion......if anyone is interested Smile
GroomRoom
GroomRoom

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm

FYI, I really don't worry too much. I am in the shampoos way more than the dogs so my first concern is actually myself.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Briggi Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks for all the input and different perspectives guys! And Jonna, no need to contact IOD rep, but thanks for the offer Smile

I think I will just stick to my Spa shampoos. Even though the IOD range seems to work well, I have noticed my eczema flaring up today. But then again, my eczema tends to get bad just because my hands are always in water!

I think I have to agree with you Chase; all the shampoos, soap, face cream etc that I use definitely never have SLS's in them. Am also picky with making sure products i use are not tested on animals (even though this can be very difficult at times), i try! Very Happy I mean, it's really quite horrendous how many companies and products still test on animals, everything from soap to washing powder! Not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Medical stuff I can understand the testing (but still don't like it), but cosmetics? Anyway, I'm being all crazy animal activist person so I'll shut up now Razz

Briggi
Briggi

Back to top Go down

Post by GroomRoom Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Briggi wrote:Thanks for all the input and different perspectives guys! And Jonna, no need to contact IOD rep, but thanks for the offer Smile

I think I will just stick to my Spa shampoos. Even though the IOD range seems to work well, I have noticed my eczema flaring up today. But then again, my eczema tends to get bad just because my hands are always in water!

I think I have to agree with you Chase; all the shampoos, soap, face cream etc that I use definitely never have SLS's in them. Am also picky with making sure products i use are not tested on animals (even though this can be very difficult at times), i try! Very Happy I mean, it's really quite horrendous how many companies and products still test on animals, everything from soap to washing powder! Not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Medical stuff I can understand the testing (but still don't like it), but cosmetics? Anyway, I'm being all crazy animal activist person so I'll shut up now Razz

Hey Briggi, I get dermatitis too so had to resort to wearing gloves all the time, makes a big difference.
GroomRoom
GroomRoom

Back to top Go down

Post by DoggyDoos Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Or, perhaps using a barrier creme may help. I use Skin Guard which is available from Woofer Wares. It helps stop my hands from drying out and cracking.
DoggyDoos
DoggyDoos

Back to top Go down

Post by Briggi Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, will try wearing gloves again. Even though I've tried before and find it difficult because you can't really feel if you've rinsed all shampoo out. Might try and get some Skin Guard, my hands are forever cracking..eeek!
Briggi
Briggi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum