Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

savel  Courses  hydrobath  dryer  grooming  todd  

Salon or mobile ??????

+3
Cessnock
yapidiyap
steve11
7 posters

Go down

Salon or mobile ?????? Empty Salon or mobile ??????

Post by steve11 Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:12 am

HI guys

This my first posting on the forum, I has been a read of the forum for a while, and have found wealth of information on this site.

I am look to start an grooming enterprise in the new year. To start I will be working from home, and as my client base build, I would be looking to move away from home base, to a salon or to become mobile, All the mobile operators here in Tassie use a trailer to operate from. If I went mobile I would be look to follow the US model and setup a transit van to operate from.

This lead me to a question that I would like see what people think.

Should I be planning to become a mobile operator or setting up a salon away from home?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either being mobile or in salon?

I look forward to any comment you would like to make. Very Happy

steve11

Back to top Go down

Salon or mobile ?????? Empty Re: Salon or mobile ??????

Post by yapidiyap Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:18 am

I've been mobile for 3 years now. Next year I am planning to work from my garage here at home. Ideally, I would like to be mobile for 2 days a week and the other days groom from home.

I don't know how this combo will work, but I will try and adjust as needed.

The other thing is my pricing. I am thinking that it will have to change since salon prices are usually cheaper than mobile prices.

I think it roughly works out to be about $15 cheaper in a salon, due to on road costs.

I pretty sure that moving from a home to a salon would be easier than moving from mobile to salon. Mobile customers are often quite definite about wanting their dogs done at their home which is why I don't want to give up some of these people that I have built up for a few years.
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:53 am

its 2 different markets...I was mobile for 10+ years in and now in my salon for 2 years...IMExp you will get alot more big dog washes on the road ...more haircuts in a salon ...you seem to get more feral dirty matted dogs on the raod as people get to embarassed to take them out in public...have to have plenty of time to talk to the old folk mobile ...gain an extra 4 hours of billing time you loose in travel/seting up mobile etc in a salon ...can work all weather in a salon...people dont like to put clean big dogs back into a muddy yard even if you can operate mobile in all weather...salons have a toilet & cuppa available(all you mobile people know what Im talking about hahaha) ...here pricing is close on road & in salon ...so do your research & see where there is hole in your area that needs filling..eg if there are already heaps of trailers & no salons .... :-) Good luck
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by yapidiyap Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Cessnock, did you have an overlap between your mobile and salon work before you competely gave up your mobile. Also did your pricing change when you went into your salon?
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:10 pm

JMO, if you can have a successful home based salon, stay there. You will be glad you did.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:27 pm

we tried to do both for about 9 months...nearly killed us very close to burn out ...2 days on the road & when you are in a salon you need to be open for 5 days at least ...those kind of hours are not recommended!!! ..90% of our grooming clients were more than happy to come into the salon..a few oldies(people) that are local we pick up ...we did have to give up a lot of the wash clients but found a girl that used the same products & gave them an option which kept the good will ...we had to make a decision..& there is more $$ in the grooming side than the wash side anyways :-)

I left the mobile clients that came to us on the cheaper mobile rate & all new clients started out on the dearer salon rate...$60 mobile $65 in salon for a small worx. Not a drama :-) Mobiles up here seem to be much cheaper than all the salons..but most are shave off kinda groomers :-)
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:29 pm

ps in those 2 days on the road we had 50 house calls to make...most with more than 1 dog :-0 ..was 6.30 am til late :S ...we had a large run after 10 years
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by yapidiyap Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 pm

that's a massive amount. I have nowhere near that many customers, nor am I fast enough to cover that many after 3 years of grooming.
yapidiyap
yapidiyap

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Mobile is more expensive here in the States and it should be. You are offering convenience.
I can't imagine having so much business. Mine is basically shot esp. since I moved. I have to move to Aussie. You guys want me? I have an accent...
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:00 am

When are you coming jonna.....I have spare cottage !!!!
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:57 am

you would be more than welcome here Jonna Smile
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by jonna Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:05 pm

If I didn't have my 2 adult kids I would be right over. I would use my nest egg and find a way to stay. I have thought about that for a while now but my kids aren't anywhere near ready to be on their own. I will be over one day. You wait and see.
jonna
jonna

Back to top Go down

Post by steve11 Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for your input..

Your guy have some interesting points. Idea

thanks

steve11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:39 pm

in those 2 days on the road we had 50 house calls to make...most with more than 1 dog :-0 ..was 6.30 am til late
scratch

WOW Wish we had you at our Forum Black Saturday Wash & Groom Day. We started at 8.30 am till 4 pm. We had 10 groomers in total working on the day, 7 of them in mobile vans with three grooming on tables outside plus volunteers. All the dogs came to us at one location and we only managed to do a total of 50 dogs ranging from Jack Russells to Cocker Spaniels, Border Collies and a couple of St Bernards where amongst that. We had to turn a few away at the end as we were exhausted. We could have done twice that with your mobile there...............Wink
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:41 am

^^^ they were the bath only clients that were done each fortnight ...easy dogs, never dirty or had fleas most we had been bathing for years & we used the Fidos herbal rinse concentrate which did not require a rinse off ...and as there was always 2 of us working the trailer 1 would set up while 1 grabbed the dog...1 washed..while the other chased up buckets of clean water(do you mobile people know you can get hot water from the valve on the side of a hot water system short piece of hose & a bucket & no waiting for the bath to heat ) ..put dog away & collect $$ while the other changed water ready for next job...& over & over again all day ...would take around 20 mins per job :-)

Like I said it nearly killed us some days we would be on the road for 12 hours ...it was 4 cruisy days work in 2 days..& if it rained Shocked .....hence the reason we gave the mobile side up.......I dont miss them days at all...and you can make much more $$ in grooming than a bath without a dry :-) so the salon won :-)
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Hmmmm sounds to hard I have to say..... Higher prices, complete job, less in a day. Quality not quantity. Only ran out of hot water when I started but with practice I rarely run out of hot water. Hot days the water in lower tanks seems to heat itself as tanks are painted black. Always have clean water on board so no chasing here except hooking to clients taps. No buckets. Cash left out, charge credit card or auto transfer.

I'm setting up to work from home salon as well as retain mobile customers. Reasons for this, heat, wet weather, inconsistant speed limits & bad drivers. Also more room for grooming big dogs. Smile
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:48 pm

just because someone can work fast does not mean the quality is less ...some people are just more time efficent than others ..I have seen many a person take ages on a job & the finish product is no where near as good as others that have completed the same task in half the time :-)
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:50 pm

just because someone can work fast does not mean the quality is less ...some people are just more time efficent than others ..I have seen many a person take ages on a job & the finish product is no where near as good as others that have completed the same task in half the time :-)

I agree that's why I work for myself tripling my hourly rate rather than having my time management and standards capitalised on by big companies who stick you working with idiots for the same ridiculous rate of pay. I got sick of carying the load of out of schoolers and middle aged bludgers with no work ethic for the same crappy money.

Once again no offense mean't and we have all seen fine examples of your quality grooming and fantastic coloring.

Geee at this rate I'll have to go on holidays again....Crying or Very sad
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 am

ewww that would sux...Im lucky that I have only ever worked for myself but have trialled a few people at times & know what you are saying..frustrating grrr

I never take offense ..i love a good discussion & respect people that have their own opinions & stick to them :-)

Holidays...are we all counting down 13 days !! woohoo & 2 weeks off for me :-)
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum