Australian Pet Groomers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Visitors Map

Keywords

savel  grooming  Courses  hydrobath  dryer  todd  

Hot spots on dogs / cleanliness of hydrobaths.

+7
B&B
Chris
Donna
gumsgrooming
CoatCutter
Cessnock
Sinner
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hot spots on dogs / cleanliness of hydrobaths. Empty Hot spots on dogs / cleanliness of hydrobaths.

Post by Sinner Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Interesting reading on facebook again re hotspots on dogs particularly Golden Retrievers..Some vets have recommended using Pyohex medicated foam on these dogs and because they are particularly prone to bacterial infections of these types, a really "clean" hydrobath is to be used. Hand washing is even preferred by some , can you imagine!!.I disinfect mine daily and dont do large dogs at all but what does everyone do to disinfect their hydrobaths .One post mentioned that "these baths harbour bacteria (can grow in piping) and are not really hygenic" I use Malaseb on some dogs with skin problems.Just more information for the newbies to this forum!!!
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Hot spots on dogs / cleanliness of hydrobaths. Empty Re: Hot spots on dogs / cleanliness of hydrobaths.

Post by Cessnock Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Phyohex here too..on the rotties/labs/mastifs that are prone to hot spots...I dont like maleseb as it makes my hands dry & itchy will only use it if the vet pescribes it.

As for the hydro bath I use Fido's hydrobath flush & bleach

The flush I will use between dogs that are feral dirty/ allergies/ messy...those you only see because there is a skin problem. I dont like the fido's flush at end of day as it never seem to get fully rid of the smelly tub problem ..but the germacide/bacterial properties & the peppermint smell inbetween those feral dogs is great.

Ther regular dogs I just flush the water down the drain til the clean new water is all that is in the tub & plumbing.

At end of day I use 2 cups of bleach in half a tub of hot water...this is pumped down the drain or on the bathing area walls/floor..never recirculated. I find that the tub never gets smelly if I use bleach...I think the little bit of bleach that is left in the pump/pipes overnight kills off any bacteria/algae that causes the smell.
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Hot spots on dogs / cleanliness of hydrobaths. Empty Re: Hot spots on dogs / cleanliness of hydrobaths.

Post by CoatCutter Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:33 am

Was that my post about Pyohex Jill? One of my clients with two goldens said to use the Pyohex as a cream. I personally don't shave for hotspots either... Found that it doesn't make much difference as long as you use whatever you're using often.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:01 pm

I don't know much about hydro baths causing hot-spots, but i do from a veterinary point of view know how in my clinic we treat them. Hotspots are usually caused by a warm damp area on the skin that becomes a great breeding ground for bacteria, the spot becomes irritated the dog chews and the spot becomes bigger and spreads. Standard treatment is to clip the spot to allow airflow so it dries out, wash the dog with malaseb as it kills bacteria and dries the skin out. Then we reccomend a topical application of a cream such as neocourt or apex lotion, they have antibiotics and anesthetics in them to soothe and kill the bacteria too.

At work we have a poster which explains with what skin conditions to use what products i.e. malaseb and pyohex, i will copy it and post for you guys Smile

hope this helps
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinner Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Yes Anthony....it was your post I saw...My friend was told to use the same on her golden retriever..We used to use a product called halamid in the hydrobaths in Darwin with our show shepherds. It was antifungicidal and antiseptic. It was a product that was used to sterilise milk vats too. Worked wonders on those encrusted, fungus types of conditions too. Hair would grow back very quickly on areas ( we didnt shave the area as they were show dogs) Did not use any creams either. There must be so many shampoos on the market produced for these type of conditions.We used to maintain cut areas, "wet" sore areas and any stitch area with diluted hydrogen peroxide solution from chemist. Sterilised and dried out these areas very well,particularly in the tropics.
Sinner
Sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Nat, I don't like Malaseb for the same reason. Mind you, you're supposed to use gloves because there's a poison warning on it. Anyway, the Malaseb is anti bacterial and anti fungal, and AFAIK, hotspots don't have have a fungal cause? Would love to see the chart Carissa Smile From the pfizer site, the Pyohex uses a wicking motion along the hair shaft to penetrate the follicle and do it's stuff, and is primarily anti bacterial.
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cessnock Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:01 pm

I never did get that...wear gloves & dont allow the product to get on your skin...yet you want me to cover the dog in it & leave for 10 mins ?? :-O
Cessnock
Cessnock

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Things that make you go hmmmm...
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 pm

LOL Anthony... but yeah i had always wondered the same thing
Donna
Donna
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:38 pm

I used to use the Fido Hydrobath flush, then I discovered the Petway cleanser and Disinfectant and i reckon it does a far better job cleaning the pump and pipes.
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by B&B Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Hey Guys,

My dog Barney is suffering from a Hot Spot on his tail....he has really sensitive/allergic skin. But this is his first hot spot.

I've clipped the area, and have been giving him his predisone, which is prescribed for his allergies. Also been appliing Quit-Itch lotion.

The problem is...I've bought 2 different sizecones for his head to stop him gnawing at it, but he can still reach because it is half way down his tail...what to do?? Any ideas, before I can go book with the vet?
B&B
B&B

Back to top Go down

Post by CoatCutter Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Use an actual bucket that should reach further forward than the cones?
CoatCutter
CoatCutter
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by B&B Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 pm

Hmmm, what about drinking water though? Would have to trial it to see if he can drink...
B&B
B&B

Back to top Go down

Post by Tail's a Waggin' Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I used to use the Fido Hydrobath flush, then I discovered the Petway cleanser and Disinfectant and i reckon it does a far better job cleaning the pump and pipes.

Same here Chris. Tell me do you leave it overnight and flush through next day or just a straight flush through:?: BTW it is good diluted for general house cleaning such as the toilet and other areas that need disinfecting. Good price and goes a long way.......Very Happy
Tail's a Waggin'
Tail's a Waggin'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 pm

where do you get the petway disso???

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:20 pm

gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Tail's a Waggin' wrote:Same here Chris. Tell me do you leave it overnight and flush through next day or just a straight flush through:?: BTW it is good diluted for general house cleaning such as the toilet and other areas that need disinfecting. Good price and goes a long way.......Very Happy

I spray the inside of the hydrobath and leave that overnight then rinse in the morning and for the pump I fill up the rinse tank with the strongest solution and let it recirculate thru the pump and hose for 5mins whilst getting the washing on for the towels and chamois. I use it to mop the salon floor, love the lemon smell. It is good stuff Smile
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 pm

animalia wrote:where do you get the petway disso???

https://www.petwaypetcare.com.au/ has the products and they are lovely people...
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

gumsgrooming wrote:I think this is the one they are talking about. I use their shampoos Smile

https://www.petwaypetcare.com.au/shop-online.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=129&category_id=5
Oops Carissa beat me...ouch Smile
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks, I will check it out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmalovesbeth Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:14 am

I use fido's flush, bleach and a eucaliptus baised disinfectant..

I spray the disinfectant between dogs, and then bleach rinse and fido rinse after the day is done Once a week i fill both rinse and bath tanks with bleach and let it sit over night..

I LOVE malaseb But sadley not enough people use it correctly at home to prevent the infections. The vet told me to tell them.

twice a week for 4 weeks
the once a week there after. and it MUST stay on for 10min MINIMUM! i also find that the physohex conditioner is great to rub through after for lasting relief..

I have lots of skin problem clients so i am very paranoid about transmitting things.
Emmalovesbeth
Emmalovesbeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Susanne Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm

I have heard the that the Vets blame the hydrobaths for hotspots, can someone please tell me what caused them before we had/used hydrobaths? my experience with a breed with a double coat, the causes can range from 'not quite fully dried' worse on humid days, to diets - in particular high grain ones.......
Susanne
Susanne

Back to top Go down

Post by gumsgrooming Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:18 am

I am yet to work at a vet who blames hydrobathing for hotspots.

i am not sure if we really know what causes them, we have theories but no specific answer only that moisture plays a big part as does the dog licking.

Some breeds seem more prone like goldens and malamutes even labs. We have a lab at my vet that continually gets hotspots, the dog has never been hydrobathed so who knows whats causing it.

I guess like most skin conditions its hard to find the cause.
gumsgrooming
gumsgrooming

Back to top Go down

Post by steve11 Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:38 am

HI

One of my malamutes was getting hot spots on a regular basis.

The vet use to always say it was a reaction to fleas. He only suffer hotspot during the summer months and it was usually a week after a Hydrobath.

What we workout the cause to be, was not completely drying the dog after a hydrobath. In summer they would be bath early on the morning and given a quick blow dry, and then the dog was left to air dry in the sun, In winter we put in the time to completely blow dry them. And no hot spots in winter.

Therefore I believe that hot spot can, and are caused by wet patches on the skin.

steve11

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmalovesbeth Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 am

I think some vets blame Hydrobaths as the dogs dont get dryed afterwards Just as Steve11 said..

I rarely do Just hyrobaths i encourage most people to pay the extra and get a blow dry, it removes all the dead fleas, dead hair and helps to prevent the damp areas..
Emmalovesbeth
Emmalovesbeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next